Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

@satay ouch! One of our cats has a balance and spatial issue and you have to HOLD him on your lap or he will roll straight off...same with tables, chairs, beds...anything. He just falls off. And very rarely lands on his feet. I am pretty quick at catching him these days and can even catch him rolling off the bed in my sleep. I consider it self defense seeing as he sleeps right up next to me and will grab whatever is closest as he falls...leg, arm, torso, face....he is always so suprised and shocked by the sudden awakening and so sorry for any damage caused.

Nice pic of the chooks lined up behind the frog. My chooks just got their 12th coop makeover for the 3 months we've had them. I think I got it right this time , they both roosting tonight and I'll find out what cluck cluck thinks of the new nesting boxes soon I hope as she seems to have finished being broody

@satay Seconding the ouch!

My dragon fruit plant is sitting on the patio. : ) It's getting planted today - probably in a pot so I can take it with me. Apparently they don't root very deep so it should be ok in a pot.

Good morning folks
frow.gif

AussieChics congrats on rehoming your boys. It is a nice feeling when the status quo is reached. Well, at least until Spring!
wink.png

I have a pretty happy flock at the moment but disruption is waiting in the wings (or should that be 'under the wings'
wink.png
) … Day 19 today!

cwrite chickens sure do not DO change!

Funny you should mention Dusty being almost ready for the pot.

This morning, as hubby was out of bed before me again, I asked him if he had checked on Dusty. He hadn’t but his curiosity got the better of him so while I prepared their breakfast, he went out and checked.

His comment on his return “Get the baster out!”
lau.gif

My response: "Is she that bad?"
Hubby: Well, she has some feathers left.

Ouch! Satay. Having two cats, I can relate. I think the worse thing about a cat scratch is the itching!

Thank you sjturner79. The concrete frog has seen better days but I have lugged him around for nearly 20 years and across 3 States; he is sort of part of the family.

With the impending hatch, we have one more makeover to complete (more run space) and have marked the calendar to do that on the Easter long weekend.

Sidhe13 no bubs yet?

Last edited:
Well, the whole flock and surrounds has been treated for lice - I checked each chook over individually, but only saw two lice - I hope that means I've caught it early.

We've rehomed our last extra rooster, and I have my two bantam girls, so now my flock is the right size. Exactly where I want it for my range of coloured eggs and for producing some big barred rocks next year. Right now everything is running around my large garden.

My chicken mix from Eden Seeds arrived too: https://www.edenseeds.com.au/Product-Info-Seeds?product=poultry-forage-greens-poultry-mix

It's Amaranth, Medic, Buckwheat, Pak Choi, Chicory, Clover, Lucerne, Millet, Nasturtium, Plantain, Silverbeet, & Salad Mallow.

One bub pipped then we had some issues....the humidity dropped so I peeled back some shell to wet the membrane because she was freaking out. She is just chilling now and the blood vessels are receding nicely. Nothing from the others. I reckon she may be my only chick
1f622.png

I have put a wet towel over the eggs to get the humidity up but can only get around 65-70%...not good. Lucky I only borrowed this incubator so i know what d3sign NOT to get next time.

One bub pipped then we had some issues....the humidity dropped so I peeled back some shell to wet the membrane because she was freaking out. She is just chilling now and the blood vessels are receding nicely. Nothing from the others. I reckon she may be my only chick
1f622.png

I have put a wet towel over the eggs to get the humidity up but can only get around 65-70%...not good. Lucky I only borrowed this incubator so i know what d3sign NOT to get next time.

Hey Sidhe13

I am sorry to read that you have having issues and sincerely hope that you are able to get a couple of little ones, at least, out of this hatch.

I have never tried using an incubator and some of the stories I have read are a little scary as to how many things can go wrong and it sounds tricky to get things just right.

Today is Day 19 for us and when Cilla hopped off the eggs, not so long ago, we have one external pip; only a small one but definitely a pip! :)

She is very restless and talkative .. she is having a wonderful conversation with her little ones.

Last edited:
Well, the whole flock and surrounds has been treated for lice - I checked each chook over individually, but only saw two lice - I hope that means I've caught it early.

We've rehomed our last extra rooster, and I have my two bantam girls, so now my flock is the right size.  Exactly where I want it for my range of coloured eggs and for producing some big barred rocks next year.  Right now everything is running around my large garden.

My chicken mix from Eden Seeds arrived too: https://www.edenseeds.com.au/Product-Info-Seeds?product=poultry-forage-greens-poultry-mix

It's [COLOR=5C2809]Amaranth, Medic, Buckwheat, Pak Choi, Chicory, Clover, Lucerne, Millet, Nasturtium, Plantain, Silverbeet, & Salad Mallow.[/COLOR]

That's an interesting seed mix. I've not long bought seeds from them too but missed that. Might be good to fence off a bit of the run and seed it.

Thanks @Teila. My one wee bub has hatched and I put a dry cloth under her to snuggle into and dry off. Still nothing from the other eggs and today is Day 23...what day do we give up on them?

Back
Top Bottom