Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Good to meet you RodneyRooster ... welcome back.  And your girls must be super happy to have laid so quickly in their new surrounds. 

Your photos have solved a problem I thought I might have, if ever I house 3 more chickens in with Mindy Araucana.   ... how to provide adequate roosting space.   Great idea to lean the roost support at an angle, and then attach the roosting poles.   Thank you. 

Sidhe13 ...  had a good giggle at the chat you had to have with Rooster.   He was doing a good job though, no matter what.  I have no rooster, thus I have heaps of wild birds a-visitin'.  

Re Foxes : .... there are plenty up around Upwey.   Hubby saw what he called a 'massive' fox crossing the road back to his/her den at 4 a.m. last week.   "Looked as big as a German Shepherd"  ( I privately thought it might well have been a German shepherd, but said nothing more at the time - he was being helpful to let me know ).   I know they are around for sure - but I always leave one lot of dog woopsies in the back garden - the smell of a dog puts the foxes off ( so I believe ).    And I lock my girls up to such a degree that they cannot get out until I let them out - and a fox could not get in - concreted flooring, wood all round and small bird wire on the latched doors for ventilation.   Nest boxes lockable, and a variety of doo-dads on the doors to keep rain out, keep the plastic covering from flapping in the wind.  My coops are not  the prettiest of sights  !!

Thoughts for all who have lost a chicken or rooster recently .... RIP to the poor wee souls who have lost their lives, and condolences to their owners.  ( there seem to have been quite a few, and apologies - am pressed for time today, and cannot go back through dozens of items to find out who has lost members of their flocks. ).   Would be awful to get names incorrect by using my memory ( which is not the crash-hottest on the best of days !! ).  

Take care everyone - have a lovely sunny weekend.   Even Victoria is to get low 20's next few days ( so they say :idunno )   

Cheers ....... 

The giant fox thing is possible. We have a monster who patrols the front of us on the street, I've seen him more than once. I don't know how they get that big, but yes, nearly the size of a German shepherd and mote orange than red. The one out the back - who I think must be his lady friend? - is a classic story book fox, red, dainty, black points, white face, no bigger than a cat.

@Anniebee glad i could help :) yep i use 2 pine posts (untreated as theyre inside and better for them) and just have the right sized big sticks attached as the roosts as its more natural :)

Yes same here Sam i mean no offense! Haha i agree fred and wilma together are gorgeous! :) oh yay, love seeing the new chicks pics.

@Slagasse ur white one looks very similar to my Rodney! So automatically the pick of the bunch ;-)

Yep all 5 eggs today so I'm stoked with how my lot took the move. Was so much easier than I'd expected. And believe it or not.. what the.. my eggs are bigger today! I normally get 2-3 big ones and 2 that are slightly smaller. Theyre all pretty uniform today and all big :-D cant wait to let them out tomorrow but as im working I wont get to enjoy seeing them first explore their new place. Theyll love it! :)

Well im off to bed, tired as. And welcome Slagasse!

Im from SA btw and have thankfully never had a problem with the neighbours even tho Rodney has always been by far the loudest (and best ;-) ) crower around. Luckily weve always had other people nearby with roosters so theyre all used to it. So unfortunately I cannot offer any help on the loud rooster situation. Goodluck!

Hey Sam I know you would know that I meant no offence when I said “Fred missed the cut” … only said that because I knew someone would already have one ;)   I like Fred & Wilma for a couple.

OMG! How adorable are those little ones?  So so cute .. you are not helping my determination not to have a hatch this season!  And .. Cilla is still broody .. I will resist .. I will resist :fl  

Lol I know Hun. It was tongue in cheek.

Satay's babies are always so super cute!
First thing I do is unlock the door walk straight to brooder for cuddles

LOL non taken. Rodney was just being cheeky. This is fred.

@RodneyRoster our white one is Mr Rooster and he's got this hilarious personality I love how excited he gets when he sees us. Crows and flaps

Hello!!

I am from the Brisbane Area is. Queensland and I am glad to see many different Aussies. I was tech American but I married my wife who's Aussie and I've been here 3 years ;)

We have a new flock and we could use some advice from locals on what we can do with our rooster. Even with his collar his crowing is sadly starting to bother the neighbours we were looking to rehome but we didn't like the people's interested from gum tree.

We
Rescued our chicks from a hatching program at my work so an abusive family who we knew killed their last lot couldn't take them.

Not to offend anyone but we're not apposed to having him slaughter if it's humanely done we don't want him to go be abused to fought

Sarah

:welcome

Thanks everyone for your kindness over the fox attack and advice. I will be going more steel - I like the electric fence idea too and will also drop some dog Doo in the hole where it dug under and through the run.

I have a friend that rescues roosters, battery hens, abandoned ducks etc etc etc when she has space. I've known her for ages but only just found out she does that. If you get desperate PM me and I will check for you if she has space ATM. Alternately I know someone who despatches them humanely and with respect.

AB that was my Rosie and Silkie lost.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom