Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

I'm going to worm mine tomorrow. Pretty much half the flock is broody anyway so not like I'll be throwing out many eggs. Sigh

Me too

and thanks to you and Fancy for the crow info.

Teila I agree "evil black birds"

This week I have learned about crows and Rhino beetles - I'd keep a beetle as a pet but may be not in a piece of bamboo or definitely not let them fight.

Hey, how's Carl?

Hey, how's Carl?

Seems to be okay, but we havent had any more warm days, been all low 20's. Ive been pulling her and Winry (my skinny cross beak) out each morning into a dog crate and giving them some special breakfast which she is eating well so hopefully it will turn out to be nothing.

Its quite the production each morning. Carl and winry into the crate. Pepper into Alcatraz as she is broody and a cranky bum. Then Penny and Al into the area Ive got sectioned off at the end of the run cause they are broody but not quite as cranky bums so can go in together.
Then before I run the kids to school its go let carl and winry back in with Colonel and the babies. Will be glad when everything is back to normaL!

Hey appps I have been meaning to ask about Carl and keep forgetting, sorry .. good to hear that she seems to be OK.

All these broodies have led me to a great idea! Chicken facial recognition nest box access!! Lol, Yep, I am either very bored or need some serious help! lol

I just had visions of Cilla holding Blondie's face up to the security panel or marching either Crystal or KiKi up the ramp at wing-point "You will let me in!!!"
lau.gif
lau.gif

just updating the photos of my babies, they are about 2 and a half to 3 months old now so I thought they might be showing more characteristics of their breed, or I should say breeds, they are definitely two different breeds. The little rooster is so shiny he looks like he's been oiled, it doesn't show up in the photo. I've been trying to put these photos on all week, but every time I came into the site, my computer froze. I didn't have any trouble anywhere else.
your boy is defiantly showing more welsummer traits and the girl looks closer to a marans but wirh the legs of a wellie. Going to be interesting to see what colour her egg is when she lays.

Thanks for bringing it up folks, worming time!

Well Rodney decided this morning that Miss Vontes maternity leave is up :-( he chased her right round half their area twice and then mounted her, then wouldnt let her hang with her chicks, poor thing i felt absolutely devo for her. The chicks are definitely big and old enough to be on their own, the younger ones have been for at least 2 weeks now. But poor miss vonte.

So most of the morning the chicks were out round the driveway and miss vonte was stuck wandering around with the adults. When i got home this afternoon she was out with her chicks so I dont know if she just decided to make a break for it or if Rodney is just trying to begin the seperation process lol.

Im gonna get a misting kit to set up for them as theyre not coping real well today and its only 36 today, the next 3 days straight will be 40. Has anybody got any experience with these? Should i set it up in their shed or around the outside of it?

Oops gotta go bbl

So i spoke to someone i know in animal control at the council. Was curious to know how many im actually allowed to have. Apparently im a few hundred metres from being allowed to have roosters lol. Chooks there is not a number restriction just whats reasonable in the area i have. So if it were too many that its dirty and smelly or they make too much noise etc then we'd have a problem but since id never keep too many that they wouldnt each have loads of room I can basically have as many as i please! :)

Im ready for hibernation this weekend! Waaaay too hot i think ill only be going outdoors after 10am to change and refresh my chicken waters. If i go out i might even buy them a watermelon :) frozen grapes and ice cubes in the freezer ready.

Stay cool everyone

Hi everyone ....

Wondered these past 2 days or so, why I hadn't had any Backyard Chicken updates in my inbox. Thought "ah well, it's almost Christmas, maybe there's hardly any news, all busy shopping ", but today decided to go to my History ( on Google Chrome ) and find the last time I had visited here ( now 3 days back ).

Came here that way to find about 14 pages I had missed, so have read everything, which took quite a while. Looked at "Get Notified when others reply"... and it was showing "Site only ( no email )" ????????
rant.gif

I certainly did not change it to that. Weird.

Not only that, but my anti-virus programme kept popping up saying it was blocking malware infection, mostly when I moved the scroller downwards !! Next page - same thing ? Gave all the details, and I can only presume it was one of the ads. ( perhaps a video that sometimes appears ) ... that was causing that problem.

Returned to resume reading later, and all seems to be fixed now, so I will look forward to receiving daily notifications again and have no malware warnings.
caf.gif

re : 'That' bird. Caws like a crow, looks like a juvie currawong ( as Fancy suggested and I agree ) or even a bit like a juvie black-backed magpie ?? .... of course magpies are renowned mimics, but I am no longer disputing that it's a crow. No indeedy - I am not.

One of our magpie 'family' --- ( all lived for about 25 years but are gone now ), used to mimic next doors' mobile phone ring. Which caused all kinds of strife, as Jo would rush out to see if she'd left her mobile phone outside and to answer it. That bird also mimicked doors slamming ( at least I'm pretty sure that's what it was ) ... and made other very strange sounds at times. But they are not quite as good as the mynahs and lyrebirds. ....

Anyway, perhaps MyHaven has discovered a new species. ( LOL ) .... or it's just an oddly marked, genetically modified, evil black and white butted B******d, that prefers the company of a murder, and caws or craws with the rest of its' kind.

Btw --- my lot are back !! And they do sound very melancholy at times.
hmm.png
Residing again in the back street nearby.

Worming ? .... I have to do my 3 girls again this weekend, and as it is going to be somewhat hot, it is probably the best time to make sure they drink a fair amount of it, with me keeping watch to make sure they do actually drink the stuff and don't dehydrate themselves. I use Aristopet Poultry Wormer which is Levamisole ( sp? ) hydrochloride. Today was very hot but they did not pant at all. They live under what is now almost complete cover from a massive elm tree, which we have clipped back, and must do more clipping. But they do get good sun in the mornings, and all afternoon when free ranging, which is when they prefer to find a shady spot to dig holes to China during dust baths.

Have a good weekend all ---

Cheers .......

Last edited:
I worm my chooks every 4 to 6 months can't not do it I got kiddies
1f600.png
I use no hormone organic feed they get mealworms watermelon including yoghurt and sardines.. Yup they are spooky lol

your boy is defiantly showing more welsummer traits and the girl looks closer to a marans but wirh the legs of a wellie. Going to be interesting to see what colour her egg is when she lays.

Educate me pls. I looked at the girl and thought Wellsummer. But I've only ever hatched a couple and kept them - one of those occasions where I didn't get enough girls and I'd promised someone a birthday present. I don't keep boys. But I have had Wheatons and I am hatching a couple of other marans ATM (if they aren't all too old - not looking good) That's a long way of saying I'm not that familiar with them all.

What traits are you seeing.

Back
Top Bottom