Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hey Fancy .. Vetsense Kilverm, Pig and Poultry Wormer .. Active Constituent Levamisole

Levamisole is hydrochloride and that's what I use. Depending on the strength you use , it will do more than just roundworm. However roundworm are the most prevalent worms in chickens, so if your birds have a burden once the wormer has killed the worms , depending on the numbers, they can clog the system a little. I would still recommend a follow up treatment in 7-10 days. This is to eliminate any hatching lavae that may have been missed by the initial treatment.

Thanks Fancy .. interesting!

I did the 100ml in 2 litres for Large Roundworm, Caecal Worm and Hairworm. As mentioned, it was just a routine treatment which I do every 6 months.

While I know that ACV is not a wormer, I do use it as it is reported to make the Ph balance in the gut just a little uncomfortable for worms to live in. I have never seen a worm in their poop and they seem happy and healthy.

I would be surprised if they had a burden but maybe I did notice less poops for that reason .. Wow!

Will definitely do the follow up .. just in case.

Thanks again .. I am glad I asked now .. it was more of an ‘intrigued’ question and I did not know about the possible clogging.

K
Hi, I tried to reply earlier but silly App on the iPad ​was being difficult.

I see what you are seeing. But I assure you that it is part of a crow flock (or is that murder?) This bird was sitting on a branch cawing back and forth to another crow for about 15 minutes before I thought to look outside. When I have seen it, it is always with other crows, sounding like a crow and flies off with the other crows when I chase them. I'll try can get a shot when it is with the others.

I have never seen or heard any currawongs here.

Cheers

Seems that we are not the only ones to debate juvenile crows. :D
In most countries crows hatch with blue eyes, but here in Australia some strains have dark eyes as juveniles , that eventually lighten to blue.
Juvenile birds also have a rather annoying ' craw craw ' sound that they make , when trying to call. We have masses of black cockatoos bring their young in to feed on the native trees along the riverside and the noise the youngsters make is constant and mind boggling.

http://coyot.es/thecorvidblog/2013/10/13/i-am-not-a-baby-crow/

Thanks Fancy .. interesting!

I did the 100ml in 2 litres for Large Roundworm, Caecal Worm and Hairworm.  As mentioned, it was just a routine treatment which I do every 6 months.

While I know that ACV is not a wormer, I do use it as it is reported to make the Ph balance in the gut just a little uncomfortable for worms to live in.  I have never seen a worm in their poop and they seem happy and healthy.

I would be surprised if they had a burden but maybe I did notice less poops for that reason .. Wow! 

Will definitely do the follow up .. just in case.

Thanks again .. I am glad I asked now .. it was more of an ‘intrigued’ question and I did not know about the possible clogging.

All of us have parasites , they are something we have to live with. Chickens feed from the ground and during spring they pick the lavae up and provide a perfect environment for them to proliferate .
There is no shame in your animals having worms, however it is a shame to see animals die from something that is easily treated or controlled.
It's also a common misconception that you will see worms in their poop. After treatment most of the worms will only be eliminated in small segments and therefore not recognizable. If you are seeing worms in the poop prior to treatment , then your birds have a serious burden.
Chickens are treated more like pets nowadays but they are livestock / poultry and should be managed as if they were on a farm, ie their dietary requirements should be adjusted according to their age and a good worming program should be put into place.

There is no shame in your animals having worms, however it is a shame to see animals die from something that is easily treated or controlled.

Yep .. 100% totally agree which is why my indoor cats still get vaccinated yearly and wormed regularly and why the gals are on a 6 month worming routine.

I have read many, many posts on BYC saying "I have never wormed my birds in the 4 or 5 years I have had them" etc and "they are healthy as" and "never a problem with worms" but I would not be able to forgive myself if one of my gals died because I didn't spend the few dollars and tiny amount of time it takes to treat them.

Granted, I cannot protect them from everything but having one less reason they could die is a good thing on my list!
wink.png

I'm going to worm mine tomorrow. Pretty much half the flock is broody anyway so not like I'll be throwing out many eggs. Sigh

Yeah , I've the last lot of fertile eggs being picked up tomorrow , then everyone is getting treated. Seen a couple of poopy bums in the Coro pen. I make it up and fill the waterers at night after everyone has gone to bed. Usually the first thing the chickens do in the AM is drink. :)

Yep .. 100% totally agree which is why my indoor cats still get vaccinated yearly and wormed regularly and why the gals are on a 6 month worming routine.

I have read many, many posts on BYC saying "I have never wormed my birds in the 4 or 5 years I have had them" etc and "they are healthy as" and "never a problem with worms" but I would not be able to forgive myself if one of my gals died because I didn't spend the few dollars and tiny amount of time it takes to treat them.

Granted, I cannot protect them from everything but having one less reason they could die is a good thing on my list! ;)  

Yeah, the argument for natural generally is fed by testimonials, but I have seen the same people post on other threads , asking why are my chickens dying ?
I always choose science over hearsay. Those who need advise will ask for it and those who don't won't. Responsible animal husbandry is a necessity , not a 'fad'

Back
Top Bottom