Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

I had illness and then Christmas hit so am only now catching up.

Welcome newbies, congrats on all the additions and I'm sorry to read of the losses, human and feathered. I too lost
a school friend. I was 14 and I never got over it.

Teila - Your neighbours cat might not stay lucky. The council is trapping cats on your side of Sandgate Rd.

Also - we do have snails here but I don't use them due to my paranoia about the parasite some may carry. I kill and dispose of them. I'm not sure if the parasite is in the snails here but I'm not risking it.

Satay - love the names and pics i see what you like about them. I picked up a D'uccle yesterday. The sweetest bird ever. So quiet. Sat on my little ones lap for ages. I could not get a decent photo because it kept preening itself it was so comfortable in a completely new environment.

Potato chip - my chooks love a downpour even if not hot. The earth worms come closer the surface so they are out and drenched in it.

When they are hot the love it too. I hose the tree too instead of spraying them directly.

Cheers

Gratz on your new Belgian. They to me truly are the best chickens you can find. I love their personalities. Only downside i can see if you lived in the city is they can be a bit noisy. I can here biddy my original Belgian as i type she loves to have a chat. They are great for kids though so friendly even the roosters are super friendly. What colour did you get? I can't wait to see some pictures. Be aware though Belgians are addictive. You can't just stop at one :lau
I agree with you my chickens love the rain too and happily just wander around in it. Maybe it's because us qlders don't see enough rain so when it happens they are out doing the happy dance just like us. :D

Last edited:
What do you do with your birds feathers when they moult??? Any ideas
1f60d.png

Gosh never though of doing anything with them. I sometimes pick them up and put them in the bin and sometimes leave them there depends where they are. Would give them to someone if i knew they could use them.

One can only wait.   It is midnight Thursday ( her due day ), almost Friday  as I write --- so hope you are out in the foaling paddock attending to a newborn or about to be, newborn.   Good sign that she has hollowed out some, but eating like a horse !! ( LOL ) ... does not quite 'fit' for a pre-birth mare !!! ..... then again ???? .... who knows.   Normal behaviour is sometimes not normal for some !! :confused:   as you would well know.  

Will be watching very closely, this thread for news - and hope all goes very well.  

Cheers ........ 

Thanks Annie, still playing the waiting game. At 3am when I went out to check her and feed the ' machine ' more hay, she was still looking nice and calm.

Howdy potato chip, not sure if we have met? If not, welcome. My gals do not like getting wet so, as Fancy and others have mentioned, rather than hose them down, I hose down the greenery in their favourite spot which damps down the earth and helps to keep the general area cooler; plus the plants appreciate it.
I'm new on the forum, thanks for your welcome. Ages ago, I bought a "misting kit" for my birds (still sitting in its box, all the birds are indoors with me and not on the patio). I might look at setting it up for the chooks in their new house.

Tropical rain isn't the same as rain in winter. I could easily see myself standing out in it, too, if I lived up north. Any summer rain we get is usually part of a thunderstorm, so you can't stand out in it or you might get zapped by lightning.

Gratz on your new Belgian. They to me truly are the best chickens you can find. I love their personalities. Only downside i can see if you lived in the city is they can be a bit noisy. I can here biddy my original Belgian as i type she loves to have a chat. They are great for kids though so friendly even the roosters are super friendly. What colour did you get? I can't wait to see some pictures. Be aware though Belgians are addictive. You can't just stop at one :lau
I agree with you my chickens love the rain too and happily just wander around in it. Maybe it's because us qlders don't see enough rain so when it happens they are out doing the happy dance just like us. :D

Took pics of the Belgian to post today, but left the memory card behind will do this weekend. I feel what you mean already. She needs company.

I love standing in the rain. I remember when living Clermont way a while back - the dam was down to 3%. They were going to truck water in and it rained. The change in the town was amazing, instant and something you can't describe. Needless to say there were a lot of us standing in the rain in the street.

My old super chook Harriet - she gave me an egg 60 plus days in a row over and over and crowed like a rooster. Gone now but fondly remembered. Particularly when I hear her successor crow.

What do you do with feathers? - I'll post a pic of decorations a friend of ours makes out of feathers. Little birds.

Back
Top Bottom