Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Some pictures of the new build. I thought it should have been bigger but it's not my farm, I'm just lodging here. There is a plan to put some external nesting boxes in from the main shed.

Last edited:
Teila .... re :

Anniebee with it still being a little on the cool side, could Mandy just be reacting to the coolness and possible joint aches in the cooler temps?

Not saying that Mandy may be overweight but if she is not moving much this may be adding to the problem in that she is becoming unfit so to speak?

LuLu was getting a little too chunky for my liking so we put her on an exercise regime and she is back to a good weight now. I believe this was due to the shorter free range time in winter.

Thank you for the thoughts and possibilities for Mandy. An exercise regime sounds great - especially the meal worm throwing ( I can just picture it ). Certainly the continuing coldness could well be a factor. We have had temps in Victoria that have never reached so low - not that I can remember ? There have been minus 7°C's popping up here and there, and many minus temperatures all over the place ( here in Upwey a few times too, this year ). Also in the oddest of places .... it has been an especially cold and grey winter with heaps of rain ( and hail - and snow down to low levels ).

So yes, I agree. I cannot recall exactly when she began this caper, but I know it was months ago - and I originally posted about her droopy tail quite a while back before that.
I recently said here, it had been going on for a year, but am now wondering. I do recall her droopy tail during the summer, and her very long moult which began early-ish Autumn I think. I will have to try and track down exactly when I first reported this conundrum.

One of the two big girls is laying beautiful brownish eggs ... have not yet figured who.
Mandy certainly does love being warm ... but has not gained or lost any weight. And just in case she has an arthritic thing going on, I don't want to make her do too much exercise. I can get her to move a lot - when I pick up the leaf rake. So might try that a couple of times a day - just to keep her joints going. Yet - yesterday, there she was - looking like a young chook again - for a while at least.

Again thanks - and good luck with your launch into all the broodiness you get so much of ...
wink.png

Cheers ......

Last edited:
Some pictures of the new build. I thought it should have been bigger but it's not my farm, I'm just lodging here. There is a plan to put some external nesting boxes in from the main shed.

The bantams, pure RIR and pure astralorps are mine. The white meaties are my brothers and the large mixed breeds belong to his wife.

We think there might be a total of around 70 chicken in there.

Last edited:
We all know my love of winter (NOT) so this morning with just a couple of days of winter left it is freezing current temp 2.1c feels like -.08c :eek: So this morning thor decides it would be a great morning to go off his na na at 5.30am. It's odd for thor to bark at that time of the morning and not stop so i race out and what do i find him barking at but the sensor light hubby set out under our bbq area yesterday. Guess he doesn't like change lol. He'd bark when the light came on run back and then go forward again which would set off the light again.. Would have been funnier if it was not so darn cold.

Baseball.  Given the low interest in the sport in Australia as compared to countries that 'live' the game, their degree of success was amazing.

Not only That but we have a comparitivly small population. But people I know who have got into it just seem to be dedicated.

My neighbour plays it and one of my nieces dated a young fellow selected to play in the U.S.

It seems all consuming.

I'm getting a little worried about Grace the Buff Sussex who acquired herself that big pile of eggs. I have seperated her in her own little enclosure within the run, however I have not seen her get off the nest in the last two days since doing this and she just looks really angry. I have even placed her food and water beside the nest box but it doesn't look like she is touching it. Happy to take any thoughts.

I'm getting a little worried about Grace the Buff Sussex who acquired herself that big pile of eggs. I have seperated her in her own little enclosure within the run, however I have not seen her get off the nest in the last two days since doing this and she just looks really angry. I have even placed her food and water beside the nest box but it doesn't look like she is touching it. Happy to take any thoughts.

A broody hen will often only leave the eggs to poop and get a drink of water. Just leave her food and water where she can see it and if she gets hungry she will partake.
263a.png

I only get worried when I have a failed hatch and the hen continue s to sit after 21 days.

Ok, ramp still needs attaching, but here is how the nest/sleeping box will look when complete. I finished painting it today! This one is for my larger chickens, Ada and Annabelle. The bantams will have one of their own, about the same size. Today we also worked on the roof of the run, attaching shadecloth and a tarp over it (the shade-cloth to help keep the tarp in place, and the tarp for easy waterproofing). We also marked out where to put the posts to divide the run into the two pens (with one of these nest boxes in each pen). Isn't it cute? It looks like a little house (actually seriously it looks like our old house, though that was completely unintentional). The windows have aluminium fly mesh attached, as well as the back of the box. It has a cut out section with mesh covering it to allow plenty of air flow during those god-awful hot summer nights. I will be putting curtains across the entrance to further help keep mozzies out. For the bantams box, we might put guard rails on the ramp to help Aggie if her eye sight deteriorates further. Those plants I will plant once the our shed is constructed, that goes down in the next fortnight I think. I want to make the yard more jungle like, with plenty of shade and cover for the girls, I'm sure I'll end up needing more plants. The front doors open for easy cleaning. Originally it was only going to be a frame with the fly screen attached, but that would have made getting in to clean it out a little tricky. The front half of the roof also lifts up (I took this photo before we moved it out into the yard and moved all that wood out of the way). Inside, there is a plastic drop tray to collect and shake out the poop! That'll make life much easier. That's also not the perch they will be using, it was to test the position and length. We're going to try and use suitable branch, go the natural route. The divider comes out, in case of squabbling over nest boxes, or if I crack the ***** with it just being there. I used the girls to check the sizes and placing of everything. I plonked Ada on the perch so you can see what it looks like in use. Dad's original measurements were for something half the size, which wouldn't really be as cool and comfortable for the girls (plus, always take chicken math into consideration). I'd probably widen it a bit more actually, but it's hard to know until it's in front of you what something will be like. Overall I'm really very very pleased with it. And yes, those hinges there are for the ramp, and that bit of wood I think will be used to help secure the perch when it's been selected and is in place. Anyway, hope you like what we've done so far. The bantams box will have three nest areas, they'll be a bit smaller, and it will have two perches, a high and a low one (good luck trying to hog BOTH perches at once Esme, you cheeky Pekin!).
Naw, how cute.
263a.png

Back
Top Bottom