Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Interesting. Are any of your mixed breeds dual purpose?

My brahma boys are looking good but they hatched in April. They area dual purpose but we're used in the US as the main breed for meat up to 1930 something I think.

Not yet. The mixes are all light breed so far. Hoping that there will some fertitlity from the meaties to get some good dual purpose.

Hi, from Kalgoorlie WA :)  had chooks since February...been reading here ever since I got them everytime I had a question lol but only joined today

Welcome.
263a.png

Quote:
Welcome! Haha I was a lurker too, When I had my first Hen go broody ages back I had heaps of questions about it and all the good ones lead to here. After 2 months or so of Lurking on BYC and getting questions answered by other peoples questions I was like heck..why haven't I joined yet?? Glad you've joined, There are plenty of Aussies round here (including myself) so don't worry ;)

Poor cutie has a bit of a cold and a gunky eye. Off to the vet tomorrow. She's eating and drinking and active but I've brought her inside till she's better. Currently napping on my lap.

Thanks Annie, the horses are just getting settled in at boneo park. It's her birthday today and no comp tomorrow so I think dad will take her out for dinner.
Yep, hold back on the yoghurt, I actually find yokult a good product for sick birds, but not when they are on ab.

Fancy - Had to look up where Boneo Park was !!! looks like a great venue, on the Peninsula ....

Best of good luck with your daughters events there, and a very Happy Birthday to her ~ Many Happy Returns of the day.

I purchased some yokult a while back - which I ended up having myself, as the girls turned their beaks up at it !! I just offered it in small bowls, as a drink. ( silly me I guess ) but - we live and learn.

It is worth another try, if I mix it with a small amount of rice and oats... hoping that will work ( it should ). I would have to feed that to her separately though, to make sure she gets a goodly amount, after the a/bs. Molly is a guts, and is quicker than Mandy at eating any form of "Mums Mash". However, Mandy does get her fair share. Problem with that is, the uproar that occurs, if I separate them when eating. ?????
th.gif

Last edited:

Now - I just know you are all going to hate me for this one !! But will just tell it exactly as it is / was / is.

Since the very first day I got Mandy, as a young 'un, not yet at POL - I have rarely been able to feel or find her crop ??? Except only immediately after eating, when I find something resembling a very small, soft and squishy, barely definable crop which hangs low. ( bearing in mind she is and always has been, a big chicken ). She does not however, appear to have a larger oversized chest, or anything like that. She is well proportioned, for her breed and size.

Opposite to that is Mindy Araucana - who at the end of each day develops a crop that feels like a larger than normal sized golf ball - and is empty / kapput - in the morning. Molly RIR's crop is definable, smallish and firm, and I would think, is doing its correct thing.

Having to give Mandy broken up large anti-biotics these past 5 days, ( 3 > 4 pieces at a time, depending on how it breaks ) I can assure anyone reading, she has no odd or foul smell from her mouth, so I do not believe she has sour crop. She only has access to short grass, but does pick around in wood shavings and straw occasionally.

I do however wonder about pendulous crop, although my Vet did not mention it. ... Mandy did NOT like being handled by our Vet, panicked, and emptied some watery discharge from her mouth ... about a good teaspoon of it. NEVER seen that before. But - maybe it was a one off, perhaps from stress. She is a gentle and good soul ( except if near Mindy, by mistake, which results in
somad.gif
).

Cannot find much about pendulous crop - but plenty about impacted and sour crop, though. [ I might not be googling correctly. ]

Anyone got any ideas on that ? It is not an urgent matter ~ just a thought at this time ........

( I wouldn't blame any of you for banning me from this thread !!
lol.png
I hope not tho ).

Cheers ......

Last edited:

Now - I just know you are all going to hate me for this one !! But will just tell it exactly as it is / was / is.

Since the very first day I got Mandy, as a young 'un, not yet at POL - I have never been able to feel or find her crop ??? Except only immediately after eating, when I find something resembling a very small, soft and squishy, barely definable crop which hangs low. ( bearing in mind she is and always has been, a big chicken ). Opposite to that is Mindy - who at the end of each day develops a crop that feels like a larger than normal sized golf ball - and is empty / kapput - in the morning. Molly RIR's crop is definable, smallish and firm, and I would think, is doing its correct thing.

Having to given Mandy broken up large anti-biotics these past 5 days, ( 3 > 4 pieces at a time, depending on how it breaks ) I can assure anyone reading, she has no foul smell from her mouth, so I do not believe she has sour crop. She only has access to short grass, but does pick around in wood shavings and straw occasionally.

I do however wonder about pendulous crop, although my Vet did not mention it. ... Mandy did NOT like being handled by our Vet, panicked, and emptied some watery discharge from her mouth ... about a good teaspoon of it. NEVER seen that before. But - maybe it was a one off, perhaps from stress. She is a gentle and good soul ( except if near Mindy, by mistake, which is :mad: ).

Cannot find much about pendulous crop - but plenty about impacted and sour crop, though. [ I might not be googling correctly. ]

Anyone got any ideas on that ? ........ ( I wouldn't blame any of you for banning me from the thread !!
lol.png
I hope not tho ).

Cheers ......
Annie I think this is the information you seek. Not a huge difference between impacted, sour or pendulous crop. The cause can differ but the outcome is usually the same. http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8024923

Fancy  - Had to look up where Boneo Park was !!! looks like a great venue, on the Peninsula ....

Best of good luck with your daughters events there, and a very Happy Birthday to her ~ Many Happy Returns of the day. 

I purchased some yokult a while back - which I ended up having myself, as the girls turned their beaks up at it !!  I just offered it in small bowls, as a drink.  ( silly me I guess )  but -  we live and learn.    

It is worth another try, if I mix it with a  small amount of rice and oats... hoping that will work ( it should ).   I would have to feed that to her separately though, to make sure she gets a goodly amount, after the a/bs.   Molly is a guts, and is  quicker than Mandy at eating any form of  "Mums Mash".    However, Mandy does get her fair share.  Problem with that is, the uproar that occurs, if I separate them when eating. ????? :th  

Thanks Annie, I usually add the yokult to cooked rice and raw egg. Scarlet isn't very happy about her boat ride. Just hope she settles down before Friday. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom