Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

2 Buff Sussex out, 2 turkeys have pipped (neither hatched yet but one is starting to zip). I seriously can't wait for this turkey to hatch, it's putting me on edge. I actually started building another grow out pen so I wouldn't be inside waiting (the pen is 1.2 meters by 3.2 and 1.4 tall. It's turning out rather nicely so far and I'll wire it tomorrow).

My last turkey hatch ended in 0/10 so I just need the one to make my day.

Congrats on new babies. Keep us all posted.

Yep, Toowoomba is 2 hours west of Brisbane.
The rest of the eggs were a sort of smashed yolk unfortunately.
I am getting a 12 egg bator so I don't have, to keep eggs very long. It was very disappointing for us all. Waiting 3 weeks for 2 chicks out about 38 is not good fishing!!
Restocked and hoping for the best!!!

And how's your girl kspot. Blue Bell has picked up a bit more...

When I got home yesterday she was worse, but my husband told me she was running up and down the fenceline being silly so she probably made it worse for herself.
I gave her a thorough check over last night and have concluded she's probably torn some muscles in her shoulder as they are very tight to massage and she doesn't like it when I touch her there.

This morning she was doing better so I gave her a massage with Vicks (not just for congestion and colds!) and will see how she is this afternoon.
Thanks for asking about her Chook
smile.png
Good to hear about your little one too

Last edited:
Yep, Toowoomba is 2 hours west of Brisbane.
The rest of the eggs were a sort of smashed yolk unfortunately.
I am getting a 12 egg bator so I don't have, to keep eggs very long. It was very disappointing for us all. Waiting 3 weeks for 2 chicks out about 38 is not good fishing!!
Restocked and hoping for the best!!!

You got 2/38 hatch? Bugger...

Good luck with the new hatch! I hope you have much better luck this time round.

Okay, here's the hatch count as it stands on day 21 (today):

- 8 out of 11 Buff sussex. That is all so far, though my turkey is slowly but surely making a bigger hole (their membrane is almost a fabric, it's so thick).

I'm not if the buff who hatch are all related as I got some Speckled Sussex from a different breeder (who also does buff sussex) and one of them is half out now and it's the same colour as the buff, though it should be brown down the back with almost welsummer eyes... They are numbered correctly as it's still marked with the pen mark it came with. I kinda hope it's a buff rooster, as that would be perfect as an unrelated breeder, (I'll pop a leg ring on it when it hatches).

On another note, I'm picking up more bronze hens tomorrow (who are laying so definitely girls) and I called just before the seller was about to put eggs in the incubator so I'll get my pick of them, but I might just go for a dozen Maran eggs (the man is only selling eggs from his older hens as the pullet eggs will be too light, which is nice of him). They'll cost me $100 so I'm really hoping for a darn good hatch rate (I'm picking them up so as the minimise the risk of scrambling).

And here are pics, lol.

This is the turkey egg who has worked the most way out. The little fighter had since made about 2-3 mm more of a crack in the last 20 min since I took this picture.

I've been spoilt by quail who hatch an a couple hours flat (and in that time you can go from none out to 50) as it seem like it's taking so long so I'm like this
barnie.gif
worrying whether or no I should help the eggs out (I know I won't, but the temptation is still there....)

Okay, here's the hatch count as it stands on day 21 (today): - 8 out of 11 Buff sussex. That is all so far, though my turkey is slowly but surely making a bigger hole (their membrane is almost a fabric, it's so thick). I'm not if the buff who hatch are all related as I got some Speckled Sussex from a different breeder (who also does buff sussex) and one of them is half out now and it's the same colour as the buff, though it should be brown down the back with almost welsummer eyes... They are numbered correctly as it's still marked with the pen mark it came with. I kinda hope it's a buff rooster, as that would be perfect as an unrelated breeder, (I'll pop a leg ring on it when it hatches). On another note, I'm picking up more bronze hens tomorrow (who are laying so definitely girls) and I called just before the seller was about to put eggs in the incubator so I'll get my pick of them, but I might just go for a dozen Maran eggs (the man is only selling eggs from his older hens as the pullet eggs will be too light, which is nice of him). They'll cost me $100 so I'm really hoping for a darn good hatch rate (I'm picking them up so as the minimise the risk of scrambling). And here are pics, lol. Cuties, colourful. Hows the turkey hole going? This is the turkey egg who has worked the most way out. The little fighter had since made about 2-3 mm more of a crack in the last 20 min since I took this picture. I've been spoilt by quail who hatch an a couple hours flat (and in that time you can go from none out to 50) as it seem like it's taking so long so I'm like this :barnie worrying whether or no I should help the eggs out (I know I won't, but the temptation is still there....)

Back
Top Bottom