Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    My daughter and I saved 6 ducklings from the sea eagle yesterday . My daughter had to heard them with the kayak, momma duck wasn't very happy with us, but the eagle was picking them off one by one right in front of me. They had only just hatched so the poor little things were exhausted from swimming for their lives.
    I put them in the brooder last night and will try to pen mum today. Will get some pics today.

2 people like this.
  2. SandeeC

SandeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

I know lol I look at these ones and thing OMG this isn't right haha
    They are starting to get their feathers on their feet already, so in love with them :)
    Even my 14 yr old pretends he doesn't care, but turns to mush when he picks them up :)

3. SandeeC

Lucky you were there to help them :)

4. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Thanks appps and everyone for your kind wishes for thor :)

5. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Well done Fancy. What a great save :)

6. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    We saved some years ago from a neighbours dog and the guy where we took them said the native duck parents tend to shoot through at the first sign of trouble.

Don't forget sea eagles have babies to feed too :). Hard when dinner is cute and fluffy though lol

7. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Don't worry apps, our sea eagle is well fed. This is the second lot for this duck, the eagle and swamp harrier got 13 last time. It picked the yellow one off, killed it and dropped it in the river. That's when my daughter got the kayak out and decided to intervene.
    This is one of our nesting sea eagles. They have a steady diet of plover, rabbit, possum and he often flies overhead, with a tiger snake in his talons.
    [​IMG]

8. SandeeC

Wow looks like he is definitely grazing in the good paddock lol
    If he is just dropping them in the water then I would have helped out too :)
    Bugger him, let him kill off the snakes first :)

9. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

We certainly don't get them here lol. Pelicans and Swans live a few k's away, but in our yard some small birds and Ibis visit.

When I worked up north we did have an Osprey nesting in the radio tower, never seemed that big in the nest until it stood up and spread it's wings!

[​IMG]

10. SydneyChickens

SydneyChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Devil sea eagles! Sux they look so pretty!.. There's a hawk that used to stalk my poor baby bunny :/ she's an indoor bunny now needless to say hehe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by