Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hey guys looks like we are off to buy some frizzled Pekin in the morning just wondering if they can be feed the same feed as I'm feeding my commercial layers or if i need to feed them different? They will be around the 16week old mark.

My bantams have trouble with the pellets. There are smaller pellets on the market. I buy a bag of free range mixed grain and a bag of pellets and mix them together. Through the winter I will fatten it up with a kilo each of black sunflower seed, hulled oats and cracked corn. I keep it all in a plastic Garbo, with good clip downs to keep the vermin out.

My bantams, actually my whole flock, don't like the pellets either so we use crumble.

We also have a big black plastic drum to store it. Unfortunately I discovered when I went to refill their feeders Friday that it is only waterproof if the last person puts the bloody lid back on when they finish. Half a drum of wet moulds crumble greeted me - sigh.

Edited to add I thought it would asterix my expletive lol. Apparently bloody is not swearing but **** (d amn) is lol

Last edited:
Hello again
frow.gif

Back with another question please :)

My Silkie babies are now 5 weeks old and chomping away on chick-start, vegies, rice and pasta.
It is time to buy more chick-start but before I do, I have been reading that they can maybe start on something in between chick-start and lay mash or pellets, like a finisher or grower or pullet feed.
I have read that it is an idea to slow the growth with less protein and calcium but then I have also read that finisher, grower is only for meat birds?
Do I just persevere with the chick-start or is there something else they can have between now and 16 or so weeks of age?

My bantams, actually my whole flock, don't like the pellets either so we use crumble.

We also have a big black plastic drum to store it. Unfortunately I discovered when I went to refill their feeders Friday that it is only waterproof if the last person puts the bloody lid back on when they finish. Half a drum of wet moulds crumble greeted me - sigh.

Edited to add I thought it would asterix my expletive lol. Apparently bloody is not swearing but **** (d amn) is lol
It's an American site - probably d.a.m.n.e.d by the Religious Right! lol

(this is crazy - i couldn't say that either!!)

Last edited:
Hello again
frow.gif

Back with another question please :)

My Silkie babies are now 5 weeks old and chomping away on chick-start, vegies, rice and pasta.
It is time to buy more chick-start but before I do, I have been reading that they can maybe start on something in between chick-start and lay mash or pellets, like a finisher or grower or pullet feed.
I have read that it is an idea to slow the growth with less protein and calcium but then I have also read that finisher, grower is only for meat birds?
Do I just persevere with the chick-start or is there something else they can have between now and 16 or so weeks of age?
I use the chick starter feed until about 8-9 weeks, the grower feed until 16 weeks (or laying but I have never had one start that early) and then from there onto layer.

I tried a bag of pellets, none seems very interested in the stuff, and seemed to prefer to stay on crumbles. I have been mixing in the left over pellets into the crumbles I get so they are not wasted.

I have been using Westons brand farm feed. Here are some pics, it has the age and product range. You may not be able to get the brand but I am sure similar products will be available.

Sorry they are on their side, having trouble rotating them so they are easier to read!

I use the chick starter feed until about 8-9 weeks, the grower feed until 16 weeks (or laying but I have never had one start that early) and then from there onto layer.

I tried a bag of pellets, none seems very interested in the stuff, and seemed to prefer to stay on crumbles. I have been mixing in the left over pellets into the crumbles I get so they are not wasted.

I have been using Westons brand farm feed. Here are some pics, it has the age and product range. You may not be able to get the brand but I am sure similar products will be available.

Sorry they are on their side, having trouble rotating them so they are easier to read!
Thank You Bens-Hens, very helpful! :)
I have actually just got back from the Produce Store and was chatting to the owner and he also said to leave them on the starter for now. The reason I was wanting to maybe start them on something with more substance was that the batch of Starter I had was very powdery and even with some water added, didn't look very good and some of it was getting wasted. I think I must have gotten the bottom of the barrel last time because the batch I got today has slightly larger bits in it and definitely not so powdery.
Thanks again Bens-Hens for your reply
smile.png

No worries, happy to offer what I can.

I think the idea of keeping them on the starter for a bit longer is to keep the treatment for coccidiosus going until they are old enough to be immune themselves. But the medication in the feed is not good for humans to consume via the eggs, so it's only used as chicks when needed and safe. Plus pretty sure they have a much higher protein level int eh chick feeds with less calcium than whats required in the layer feed.

I am in the same position with my 4 week olds, but I have some more due in the next couple of days so I will be getting another big bag of starter to tie me over for a while longer.

No worries, happy to offer what I can.

I think the idea of keeping them on the starter for a bit longer is to keep the treatment for coccidiosus going until they are old enough to be immune themselves. But the medication in the feed is not good for humans to consume via the eggs, so it's only used as chicks when needed and safe. Plus pretty sure they have a much higher protein level int eh chick feeds with less calcium than whats required in the layer feed.

I am in the same position with my 4 week olds, but I have some more due in the next couple of days so I will be getting another big bag of starter to tie me over for a while longer.

My marans are around 16 weeks old and I still have them on grower. I use lauckemills brand starter and grower when they are old enough.

Expanded our flock today we now have 5 chooks 2 commercial layers 1 polish and 2 frizzle Peking will upload some picks later on had to build a isolation pen for the new arrivals how long should I keep them isolated from the others?

Back
Top Bottom