Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Could somebody please help with my query ?

Two nights ago, we found a dead, decapitated youngish looking bird ( could have been a young dove - light grey winged ) ... in the run with our Araucana. It had also been eaten to a degree - feathers picked off, and flesh eaten from around the keel.

An awful sight, and the head was not found anywhere. I later found some downy grey feathers in her coop - but no sign of blood. The feathers were not hers. She is coffee / white in colour.

My Araucana, of my 3 birds, is by far the feistiest. She allows only adult doves and rosella's in her run - to assist her in eating her scratch mix. Minors, wattle birds and black-birds, she chases out - big time. Cockatoos will also not enter her run.

Ummm....... is it possible that a hen could kill a young fledgling ( it is Spring in Victoria - and has been very warm ) .... and ummm..... devour parts of it ?

I know they eat meat. They love my left-over cooked meats.

Made me think that the reason my two very big girls ( Welsummer and RRI ) might have known a thing or three, as they would half kill my Araucana if I allowed them all together. Tried that only once .... darn near lost my Araucana. They now live separately at all times. The two big girls together, and the little feisty one by herself.
Anyone know of anything like this please ?
hide.gif

Could somebody please help with my query ? 

Two nights ago, we found a dead, decapitated youngish looking bird ( could have been a young dove - light grey winged ) ... in the run with our Araucana.   It had also been eaten to a degree - feathers picked off, and flesh eaten from around the keel. 

An awful sight, and the head was not found anywhere.   I later found some downy grey feathers in her coop - but no sign of blood.   The feathers were not hers.   She is coffee / white in colour.  

My Araucana, of my 3 birds, is by far the feistiest.    She allows only adult doves and rosella's in her run - to assist her in eating her scratch mix.   Minors, wattle birds and black-birds, she chases out - big time.   Cockatoos will also not enter her run.   

Ummm....... is it possible that a hen could kill a young fledgling ( it is Spring in Victoria - and has been very warm ) .... and ummm..... devour parts of it ?

I know they eat meat.  They love my left-over cooked meats.    

Made me think that the reason my two very big girls ( Welsummer and RRI ) might have known a thing or three, as they would half kill my Araucana if I allowed them all together.   Tried that only once .... darn near lost my Araucana.   They now live separately at all times.   The two big girls together, and the little feisty one by herself. 
Anyone know of anything like this please ?      :oops:

Annie, she may have killed it , I know mine will kill rats if they make the mistake of coming out during daylight. A rat may well have killed the young bird too, that's not to say that your Araucana wouldn't have had a pick at the corpse. :sick

Annie, she may have killed it , I know mine will kill rats if they make the mistake of coming out during daylight. A rat may well have killed the young bird too, that's not to say that your Araucana wouldn't have had a pick at the corpse. :sick

I agree sounds like a rat but could a cat get in the run? they will do that too.

Hi guys, I'm only 1234 posts behind so sorry I don't have time to catch up on all that has gone on :) I hope everyone and their feathered friends are well. Here is an egg pic from my phone
We have lots of new birds so I'll take some more pics of our new additions later.

Chook, I never get tired of seeing your beautiful eggs.

I have a broody on my hands as well and am putting these eggs under her tonight. She's a first time sitter, so hopefully she'll go alright.

I moved her from the nest box to the brooder pen and she took that like a champ and has continued to sit well, so fingers crossed she'll be a good mum.
fl.gif

Chook, I never get tired of seeing your beautiful eggs.

I have a broody on my hands as well and am putting these eggs under her tonight. She's a first time sitter, so hopefully she'll go alright.

I moved her from the nest box to the brooder pen and she took that like a champ and has continued to sit well, so fingers crossed she'll be a good mum.
fl.gif

Very exciting! Got everything crossed here for you also
fl.gif

Thanks Teila.

This will be my third hatch (I only use broodies); my first two hatches were done by my Welsummers who were excellent sitters and mothers. We'll just have to see how Bubbles the Dorking goes.

For anyone who has followed Bubbles' story will know it's a world away from where she was 8 months ago.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I'm only 1234 posts behind so sorry I don't have time to catch up on all that has gone on :) I hope everyone and their feathered friends are well. Here is an egg pic from my phone
We have lots of new birds so I'll take some more pics of our new additions later.

Your eggs make mine look rather boring by comparison lol. I'd love to see the average non chicken persons face if they got a carton of those!

Back
Top Bottom