Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Will do. I'll see if my husband can rig up a temperature sensor in there so we can at least attempt to keep the temperature ideal. We ordered parts for an incubator that I was hoping would have arrived today but they have not. :(

It looks (to me) as if the bleeding is from a shallow wound and stopped almost immediately, so I hope that doesn't drastically effect the chick.

It could just be the membrane, the good thing is that it has stopped.
If you can't maintain the temp I would consider popping back under mum once it is dark. Then check on it early in the morning.

Last edited:
It could just be the membrane, the good thing is that it has stopped.
If you can't maintain the temp I would consider popping back under mum once it is dark. Then check on it early in the morning.
We've set up a temperature sensor in the brooding box a dish of water and a webcam so we can watch what is happening without disturbing it. The sensor is also measuring humidity so I'll try to get it ideal. A larger surface area of water should increase the humidity faster if I'm right.

Last edited:
I would still be inclined to either lay it on a warm wet paper towel , or mist spray it.
Humidity in the box is 65%, temperature is (so far) 31.4C. Chick seems fine now andit's about 15 minutes until it'll be completely dark. We intend to go out with a headlamp when it's dark to slip the chick under its mum. Much better for the chick to be with her, thank you for that suggestion.

We had a setback when the USB hub the sensor was attached to fried and the smell of burning components flooded the area. Fortunately the chick was shielded from the fumes by the cover I put on the brooder to keep the heat in. X( There's a word for this that I can't use on this site...rhymes with clusterduck.

Last edited:
All my memories of predator attacks include feathers everywhere. Hopefully you will find her curled up asleep on your door mat when it gets dark!

G'day all! I was in NT alot for the beginning of my life (Dad use to be a truckie) now im settled in SA with my horses and chickens!
D.gif

Humidity in the box is 65%, temperature is (so far) 31.4C.  Chick seems fine now andit's about 15 minutes until it'll be completely dark.  We intend to go out with a headlamp when it's dark to slip the chick under its mum.  Much better for the chick to be with her, thank you for that suggestion.

We had a setback when the USB hub the sensor was attached to fried and the smell of burning components flooded the area. Fortunately the chick was shielded from the fumes by the cover I put on the brooder to keep the heat in. X( There's a word for this that I can't use on this site...rhymes with clusterduck.

Haha. What day is the egg due to hatch on ? Fingers crossed it will hatch under mum through the night and util of the Hun will be more receptive in the morn.

Haha. What day is the egg due to hatch on ? Fingers crossed it will hatch under mum through the night and util of the Hun will be more receptive in the morn.

Yeah...about that. >.>

That's the latest rookie mistake I've made. I had hens brooding eggs but I didn't isolate them from the rest of the chooks - so for about a week afterward, chickens kept climbing in and laying fertile eggs on top of my brooding hens. So the spread of hatching dates is over about 10 days. :/

All my memories of predator attacks include feathers everywhere. Hopefully you will find her curled up asleep on your door mat when it gets dark!
Thanks appps, I found her this arvo having a snuggle with my pug under the house. XD

The blood turned out to be from a tiny wound on the comb of one of my Ancona hens. Panic for nothing. My husband managed to block off the gaps at the back of the coop before this latest debacle with the pecked hatching chick happened. The front (much higher) will have to wait for tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom