Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

No shortage of eggs but there have been more feathers than usual lying around. All the same colour so far...rooster.

Thanks for all the bulb advice. I'm afraid we may have a couple days of "make do" but i really do want the best setup possible for them. Any and all advise is always appreciated!

Quick ques....what is the difference between straw and hay?
Hay is also smelly while straw does not smell. I think it's because hay is still green while straw is dead. I can only describe it as a distictly farm smell.

@IamSamSam Happy Birthday! I hope you have a good year.

@Kooka sorry to hear about your shed. It must have been a huge branch. Just as well it wasn't your home!!

I found another cream egg with lavender speckles. As it was 60g's I'm pretty sure it's not a pullet egg, apart from not having seen my pullets show an interest in the nest box yet or squat.

Could this happen at the end of a laying cycle or should I be watching my pullets a bit closer? I just can't believe they would start with such huge eggs... and the wrong colour.

Well, I decided and now have two new Belgian d'Uccle girls who are three months old.

A little silver millefleur:

And her lavender friend:

The lavender seems to have the most amazing beard - I'm only into this as a fun hobby, but she walks around in a very stately way, as if quite impressed at herself.

Hay is also smelly while straw does not smell. I think it's because hay is still green while straw is dead. I can only describe it as a distictly farm smell. @IamSamSam Happy Birthday! I hope you have a good year. @Kooka sorry to hear about your shed. It must have been a huge branch. Just as well it wasn't your home!! I found another cream egg with lavender speckles. As it was 60g's I'm pretty sure it's not a pullet egg, apart from not having seen my pullets show an interest in the nest box yet or squat. Could this happen at the end of a laying cycle or should I be watching my pullets a bit closer? I just can't believe they would start with such huge eggs... and the wrong colour.
I'd be watching the pullets a little closer. Our hay smells sweet like Lucerne . If hay smells sour , chances are it is mouldy inside the biscuits. Mouldy hay is something to avoid feeding and can also cause health issues with chickens .

Well, I decided and now have two new Belgian d'Uccle girls who are three months old. A little silver millefleur: And her lavender friend: The lavender seems to have the most amazing beard - I'm only into this as a fun hobby, but she walks around in a very stately way, as if quite impressed at herself.
Congrats such pretty Belgians :celebrate Word of advice don't leave your door open if they are out free ranging as if they are anything like mine you will find them on the lounge watching telly.

Back
Top Bottom