Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Random non-news from the Owlhome flock:  When are you guys going to realise that at 20-24 weeks you should be laying, and-or crowing as your sex dictates!

Okay, the silkies are off the hook on that one - my tiny female silkie Candycorn has less than my little finger's width between her keel and pubic bone, she's so little.  My little silkie rooster Ivan the Terrible likes to cuddle under the big breed rooster, so God only knows what he thinks his 'job' is.  Lord high snuggle bunny, maybe.

But my huge (and they really are huge, I have to carry them one at a time) white sussex ladies are up to four fingers now, even the sprightly anconas are getting there.  My gentle-man rooster, Wellington, is a massive boy.

I've tried crowing near him (don't laugh!) to see what he does.  He looks at me with a horrified, melancholic expression, and then wanders off with a hurt look on his face.

I wonder if all Marans are as cuddly as Ori, the 'wheaten' Maran I have - she'll sit next to me while I stroke her head feathers and then stretch out and fall asleep.  Sometimes she falls off the bench.  If she's really zoned out, she'll lie on the ground for a while.

Sorry but I had to laugh :lau My marans are pretty friendly even the roosters are sweet guys. I have a bachelor pad at the moment that has 1 black copper rooster, 1 Blue copper rooster and 1 splash marans roo. They all get on fine and are the loveliest boys that will come up for a pat .

Sorry but I had to laugh :lau My marans are pretty friendly even the roosters are sweet guys. I have a bachelor pad at the moment that has 1 black copper rooster, 1 Blue copper rooster and 1 splash marans roo. They all get on fine and are the loveliest boys that will come up for a pat .

The problem is , that just makes it harder to send them off to the pot. I have some beautiful wyandotte cockerels ,met hey are so friendly and I try not to give them names. :rolleyes:

So true but these three boys are my pets so no pots for them.

Lucky boys. I have two little silkie mut crosses they rape and pillage the village. They jump all the fences, rotten little scoundrels are in the ' sin bin ' . Not sure what will become of them. But now that I'm shipping eggs again they will have to stay put.

The problem is , that just makes it harder to send them off to the pot. I have some beautiful wyandotte cockerels ,met hey are so friendly and I try not to give them names.
roll.png

"I'm not controlled by chickens, I'm breeding for temperament."
wink.png

Good morning folks :frow

I do believe that Blondie is having an identity crisis!

Last week she wanted to be like Cilla; broody and sitting on eggs.  This week she apparently wants to be like Dusty .. bald!

I will know we have a serious problem when the curling wand goes missing … can’t think of any other way she is going to be like LuLu the Frizzle! 

Either that or, unbeknown to me, the chicken Olympics is being held at our coop this year and her and Dusty are competing for the Gold in Cross Country Molt or Feather Drop Floor Routine!

ROFL had my kids laughing too

Question... is there anywhere in Australia that sells blank egg cartons? And not by the thousands? I wish to whack a sticker of my own for friends and family.

also I'm running low and people dont seem to give them back :-(

Question... is there anywhere in Australia that sells blank egg cartons? And not by the thousands? I wish to whack a sticker of my own for friends and family.

My local Lyons club give me cartons that are clean from their fundraisers and I either put a sticker over ones on the carton or peel them off first.

Does your local Bunnings do sausage sizzle fundraisers? Maybe swing by early and ask them to hang onto the cartons for you, and pop back when they are finishing.

Back
Top Bottom