Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Just throwing a thought out there, as an alternative treatment option. Medicating the chicks will lead to always needing to medicate. And cocci will always be present, there really isn't a way to get rid of it all. Another way to approach the problem is to just let the chicks build up a natural resistance to it. The strong birds will survive, the weak ones will not. Over time, you will build a stronger flock, that's naturally resistant to cocci.

Cleaning the bedding often and keeping the oocyst load down will allow the birds to slowly get accustomed to the cocci, and you can boost their immune defense with yeast based products.

Just my two cents on unnecessary medicating again
smile.png

Last edited:
Just throwing a thought out there, as an alternative treatment option. Medicating the chicks will lead to always needing to medicate. And cocci will always be present, there really isn't a way to get rid of it all. Another way to approach the problem is to just let the chicks build up a natural resistance to it. The strong birds will survive, the weak ones will not. Over time, you will build a stronger flock, that's naturally resistant to cocci.

Cleaning the bedding often and keeping the oocyst load down will allow the birds to slowly get accustomed to the cocci, and you can boost their immune defense with yeast based products.

Just my two cents on unnecessary medicating again :)  

Mature birds do build up an immunity to coccidias but an overload in chicks will and does kill all if not most of them. There are vaccines available but unfortunately not cost effective in small flocks. So when you get sick Felix , do you go to the Dr or just stay at home and hope for the best ? Just wondering.

Fancy, I tend not to get sick. And I'm not saying coccidiostats are without merit, they certainly have their uses. I can also admit, that in my climate it's probably a lot easier to go with the no treatment route, since our temperatures are less beneficial for the oocysts. Your regular 30-37C temps hit the sweet spot for them pretty nicely, while our often below 20C temps helps keep the problem down. Another way to battle the problem is to insure that the bedding stays dry. A slightly moist 30C environment would probably require some medication in the flock.

I'm just trying to get people to think before using medication, especially when it hasn't been prescribed by a professional. I thought the pro-med side was strongly enough represented already, so I chose a slightly black and white tone in my reply. As long as the person administering the medication first reads up on how it works, and understands what they're doing, and carefully checks the dosage and treatment intervals, I have nothing against it.

Oh dear guess today is a bad day overload had the same issue with my chooks bloody poop so I had some sent to the vet for testing then I bought a brand new incubator which yup yah guessed it not working
1f601.png
1f629.png
had to cancel my order for fertile eggs
1f615.png

Fancy, I tend not to get sick. And I'm not saying coccidiostats are without merit, they certainly have their uses. I can also admit, that in my climate it's probably a lot easier to go with the no treatment route, since our temperatures are less beneficial for the oocysts. Your regular 30-37C temps hit the sweet spot for them pretty nicely, while our often below 20C temps helps keep the problem down. Another way to battle the problem is to insure that the bedding stays dry. A slightly moist 30C environment would probably require some medication in the flock.

I'm just trying to get people to think before using medication, especially when it hasn't been prescribed by a professional. I thought the pro-med side was strongly enough represented already, so I chose a slightly black and white tone in my reply. As long as the person administering the medication first reads up on how it works, and understands what they're doing, and carefully checks the dosage and treatment intervals, I have nothing against it.

Each to their own Felix. I only speak from my own experience. Many people can't afford professional advice and avian vets are few and far between. If my animals are sick I choose to fix them . Amprolium is a thiamine inhibitor and has no egg or meat witholding period.

Back
Top Bottom