Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hi all. I've been lurking for a bit, but thought I would put in my 2c worth. Our council didn't have a max number of chickens allowed, but there were rules about noise, odour and how far a coop was from water source. All regulations and by laws should be readily available on their website . Ours are part of the Territory Legislatiin, so they are on the nt government site too
1f44d-1f3fc.png
. We live rural now, so we can have heaps. Cost of feed is our limiting factor.

Or if you have a lazy butt council like ours they have no rules listed (only noise) so I take that as I can have what I like :lau

Or if you have a lazy butt council like ours they have no rules listed (only noise) so I take that as I can have what I like
lau.gif

I had a quick look at the Somerset council site, which lead to a longer look at the Dept of Local Gov site then another longer look at the Somerset council site, and there is a law buried in there. If you care to find out if you are OK, it is HERE for the moment, but will probably move in the near future.
hmm.png
Qld has a pretty interesting set up for local law. Can make it hard to find stuff.

Sooooo it would seem that ruffled feather pepper is getting broody rather than just reluctant to share her box. Is now sitting on hers and sparrows egg...hmmmm laid all of 12 eggs and broody already...i really like this chook. So my question is...should i let her sit? I have no issue with her rearing babies. More worried as its her 1st time and that she'll get bored with it quickly. I do have incubators though. Should i give her her own pen and see how she goes? Would love to not have to use the incubator.

Hi everyone we got two araucana hens yesterday the lighter one is peep and darker one is called sweep we decided to buy some hens instead of growing up roosters. We've got them separate in their quarantine pen they are quite shy and flighty compared to our other birds.

Last edited:
Morning folks
frow.gif

MagicPidge Tee hee, yep, I won’t be telling Cilla that her bubs do not count
wink.png

appps cool pots, put me down as a vote for fruit trees.

Congrats on yet another successful competition Fancy. Beautiful pics and thanks for the chuckle [cartoons].

Howdy CallMeQuackers good to see you have delurked and nice to meet you.
I lived in the Territory for 3 years or so, loved the mind set, the people and the Territory itself .. the weather, not so much. Mother Nature sure does put on some beautiful light shows up there but the heat/humidity was too much for me.

Wow, those are some not so easy to follow local laws .. log onto the Brisbane City Council site and you get plain and simple:

Number of birds
Household premises with a total area of more than 800 square metres can keep up to 20 fowl, including ducks, geese and peacocks without a permit.
If your residential premises has a total area less than 800 square metres you can keep up to six fowl.
Poultry sheds must be set back at least one metre from a dividing fence.

Conditions for keeping poultry
If you are keeping poultry on your property you need to:
make sure your poultry shed will not cause a nuisance to your neighbours
keep conditions clean to prevent odour and fly breeding
store bulk food in pest-proof containers
consider using lime to combat odour problems and reduce the soil pH
avoid putting out excess amounts of food so you don’t encourage rats or mice
gather up all manure and place it in weather-proof and fly-proof containers at least once every seven days
replace water daily

Roosters
Roosters are not allowed on any premises in a residential zone. They are permitted on acreage provided they don't create a noise nuisance. When buying chickens, it may be best to purchase point of lay birds to ensure they are hens.

Deej211 Cilla stuck out the distance and had a successful hatch her first time broody. If it was me, I would let her sit, just not on anything I really wanted to hatch or which were expensive.

Love the nest box tussles. This is one of my favourites ….

Beautiful new additions Sunnys Chickens .. congrats.

I had a quick look at the Somerset council site, which lead to a longer look at the Dept of Local Gov site then another longer look at the Somerset council site, and there is a law buried in there. If you care to find out if you are OK, it is HERE for the moment, but will probably move in the near future. :/ Qld has a pretty interesting set up for local law. Can make it hard to find stuff.

I have seen that one but that is only for in town blocks. My land size is way bigger than that and there is not listing. I did ring council once to check and they said there was no laws for acreage only noise laws.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom