Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

From what I've read canker is a form of thrush so probably.

That is a common misconception.
Thrush is a fungal yeast infection, often caused by prolonged use of antibiotics or when coccidiosis is present , both disrupt the normal flora in the birds gut.
Canker / trichomonas is an organism/ protozoan that lives in the mucous of the bird.
Both have similar symptoms but treatment is different .
For thrush, anti fungal such as nystatin or canestan can help or a copper sulphate / vinegar solution.
For canker you need to track down some metronidazole/ fishzole.
If you are seeing an improvement with the anti fungal product , chances are you are dealing with thrush but if it isn't getting any better , then I would treat for canker.
How's the tube feeding going ?

That is a common misconception.
Thrush is a fungal yeast infection, often caused by prolonged use of antibiotics or when coccidiosis is present , both disrupt the normal flora in the birds gut.
Canker / trichomonas is an organism/ protozoan that lives in the mucous of the bird.
Both have similar symptoms but treatment is different .
For thrush, anti fungal such as nystatin or canestan can help or a copper sulphate / vinegar solution.
For canker you need to track down some metronidazole/ fishzole.
If you are seeing an improvement with the anti fungal product , chances are you are dealing with thrush but if it isn't getting any better , then I would treat for canker.
How's the tube feeding going ?
I've seen a definite improvement with the Nilstat drops I have. The stuff in his throat has turned from white to brown and is coming away from the side of his esophagus which was why I was able to pull out that nasty glob in the pic.

The tube feeding is going great, I think I may have it down to a fine art haha. Do you know where I could find metronidazole? It wouldn't be a bad idea to get some to keep it in my first aid stock.

I've seen a definite improvement with the Nilstat drops I have.  The stuff in his throat has turned from white to brown and is coming away from the side of his esophagus which was why I was able to pull out that nasty glob in the pic.  

The tube feeding is going great, I think I may have it down to a fine art haha.  Do you know where I could find metronidazole?  It wouldn't be a bad idea to get some to keep it in my first aid stock. 

That's great news. You used to be able to buy it over the counter at aquarium / pet shops in the form of ' fishzole ' but I've heard that it is becoming hard to source. Next time I go to town I'll see if it's available here. Of course , you can get it through the vet. :)
I was reading this link last night and was thinking of you.

http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8024923

Anyone know ducks who can tell me what type this is? Origin unknown.

On my profile page, of you go to bottom of page where my albums are, look in Wist. Lots of pics of baby pacific black. I've rescued both, its hard to tell from the pic but I do think you've got a wood duck there. Both are extremely lovely!

Gosh that's a lot of rain appps. Hope everyone is ok out in their pens. I can say our total since may and the only rain we have had since then was 6mm last night.

They are a bit damp. The silkies top knot was all wet this morning so I must have a leak somewhere near where she roosts or it was blowing in the ventilation gap. Everything in there is wet and muddy but hasn't actually flooded. I've just got soaked nailing a bit more plastic up to plug another spot the water was trickling in the house but hopefully that is the last one. Mud everywhere though in their yard.

Last edited:
That's great news. You used to be able to buy it over the counter at aquarium / pet shops in the form of ' fishzole ' but I've heard that it is becoming hard to source. Next time I go to town I'll see if it's available here. Of course , you can get it through the vet.
smile.png

I was reading this link last night and was thinking of you.

http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8024923
Thanks Fancy, I had a read through that thread. Failing the fishzole, I might try the copper sulfate solution they talk about and give that a go as I have some on hand if I need to. But so far the Nilstat drops are working so
fl.gif
it won't be too much longer that I need to use them.

They are a bit damp. The silkies top knot was all wet this morning so I must have a leak somewhere near where she roosts or it was blowing in the ventilation gap. Everything in there is wet and muddy but hasn't actually flooded. I've just got soaked nailing a bit more plastic up to plug another spot the water was trickling in the house but hopefully that is the last one. Mud everywhere though in their yard.
Sounds like what I had to endure earlier this year back in May with all the flooding and torrential rain we had. Praying for it to subside for you @appps

On my profile page, of you go to bottom of page where my albums are, look in Wist. Lots of pics of baby pacific black. I've rescued both, its hard to tell from the pic but I do think you've got a wood duck there. Both are extremely lovely!

We have a generous supply of both here, I much prefer the wood ducks , they are more reserved and not so ' in your face ' as black ducks .

The black ducks also breed with domestic ducks.

And this is my all time favorite wood duck clip. I could watch this over and over, hehe I have.

Last edited:
We have a generous supply of both here, I much prefer the wood ducks , they are more reserved and not so ' in your face ' as black ducks .

The black ducks also breed with domestic ducks.

And this is my all time favorite wood duck clip. I could watch this over and over, hehe I have.

Amazing video! Love it!
Those aren't purebred pacific blacks. They must have been diluted at some point. The purebred is very shy and furtive. Its illegal (in nsw anyway) to let your call ducks fly because they are attempting to keep the breed pure. As much as I agree, and love them, I think its a lost battle already.

Back
Top Bottom