Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Wonder if it works on magpies. Will keep in mind if they move back into the tree outside our window this spring.

Hey appps it is an American Based outfit and they have a Crow Be Gone, Blue Jay Be Gone and Crow Come Here (to attract Crows if you are so inclined).

Couldn't see anything for Magpies but there may be something out there.

Update: No Crows this afternoon during free range; no Crows begging a meal off the back neighbour and in fact, the Lorikeets she used to feed, before the Crows took over, are back; could be coincidence, but I wonder.

Anyways, a very successful Day 1
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Hey appps it is an American Based outfit and they have a Crow Be Gone, Blue Jay Be Gone and Crow Come Here (to attract Crows if you are so inclined).

Couldn't see anything for Magpies but there may be something out there.

Update:  No Crows this afternoon during free range; no Crows begging a meal off the back neighbour and in fact, the Lorikeets she used to feed, before the Crows took over, are back; could be coincidence, but I wonder.

Anyways, a very successful Day 1 :D  

Crow come here eh? I think I've got that covered but good to know

So , hatch out chicks in the incubator, 5 days later Cho is broody!
Will the chicks be too old to put under her ? I've been pulling her out of the nest all day but she's determined. I decided to just let her stay in the nest tonight on a couple of today's eggs, there's always golf balls laying around except when I want some !!
The chicks have been under a heat pad instead of a lamp so transitioning to a broody wouldn't be that different (they try to go under the older chicks when I have them together ) but would she accept week old chicks ?
I've been thinking she's going broody for a bit now, plucking feathers, taking forever in the nest box etc, but she only started sitting for real yesterday

Last edited:
So , hatch out chicks in the incubator, 5 days later Cho is broody!
Will the chicks be too old to put under her ? I've been pulling her out of the nest all day but she's determined. I decided to just let her stay in the nest tonight on a couple of today's eggs, there's always golf balls laying around except when I want some !!
The chicks have been under a heat pad instead of a lamp so transitioning to a broody wouldn't be that different (they try to go under the older chicks when I have them together ) but would she accept week old chicks ?
I've been thinking she's going broody for a bit now, plucking feathers, taking forever in the nest box etc, but she only started sitting for real yesterday

It's worth a try. I've read that it is best done at night to get the broody to accept the chicks, but have never tried it myself.

I've been struggling with my pc being super slow every time I use this site and the last time I was typing a reply my pc went black and died. Has anyone else had problems with it? I'm having to use my phone now.
Anyway, I thought something had happened to Pearl as I couldn't find her anywhere this morning. Just as I was about to give up I spotted something pale in the nasturtiums and there she was, huddled over a nest. She's only just started laying!

Definitely a size difference! I think the chick might be a bantam breed. They took about an hour to settle down but now the chick follows the duck and the duck follows me. If I move too fast, the duck will go back and coax the chick to catch up. They still have some wrinkles to iron out but are already heading to be best buddies!

I will be monitoring the size difference in case of injury risks...

@Teila Very interested to see how this goes! My partner wonders if they will start sending the odd scout to find where the noise is coming from and try get to it. He reckons if they do get that far they could r[p'v '';.

Sorry that was the cat butting in....as I was saying, they could try stopping it by taking the computer apart!

@ChristieB I am thinking of building a "cave" type of brooder warmer instead of a lamp. What wattage are you using? Do you use a thermostat?

Last edited:
It's worth a try. I've read that it is best done at night to get the broody to accept the chicks, but have never tried it myself.

I've been struggling with my pc being super slow every time I use this site and the last time I was typing a reply my pc went black and died. Has anyone else had problems with it? I'm having to use my phone now.
Anyway, I thought something had happened to Pearl as I couldn't find her anywhere this morning. Just as I was about to give up I spotted something pale in the nasturtiums and there she was, huddled over a nest. She's only just started laying!

I agree. Try at night but be watchful. Some mums will except babies and some wont.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom