Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hmm how do you coordinate waiting on a broody to go broody with 2 week wait from egg supplier? Just order and cross fingers?

Borrow incubator and cross fingers there is a broody to move them to before they hatch?

Wait on broody and let her sit two weeks before eggs arrive?

A lot of luck is about all it is. I very rarely use broodies at all these days. I mostly use my incubator.

Hey Ashburnham good luck with the hatch .. beautiful eggs!

ChristieB aaaw, that little bub is adorable! Fingers crossed it is a girl
fl.gif

appps that is a tricky one. If it was me, I guess the best bet would be to organise to borrow an incubator, order the eggs and use the incubator if need be. Having said that, I do like Fancy’s suggestion also
wink.png

Crow Be Gone Update; morning of Day 4
It was quiet for the majority of the day while the mp3 was playing. One Crow came back in the evening, apparently determined to roost in either our front tree or the neighbour’s tree out the back, I managed to discourage him.

Got woken by cawing at 06:20am; one in the back tree talking to one out the front. Nothing like the numbers in the past and while I can still see Crows flying over, they do not stop in.

The mp3 is playing now and it is reasonably quiet out there. I tweaked the position of the speakers and volume yesterday. All reports indicate that after a week or two of playing the mp3, even the determined one’s should give up .. again, we shall see.

Wow... hatches, babies and adorable cuteness!! Now I want to hatch more babies
jumpy.gif

I'm glad your mp3 seems to be working @Teila . I'm glad I don't have crows cawing at ungodly hours. We just have plovers who sometimes get upset at something in the middle of the night and go off, but that's not too often.

Sad news coming out of here, Casanova lost his fight. While it's unfortunate, I take comfort in the fact I have some of his babies here, and that a couple look like girls, so they'll get to stay.

Also had a great day at the Wondai Ag show up in the South Burnett, with Yahtzee being awarded his first "class in group" win! What a rush it was for me!

He was very nearly awarded what you call Dog Challenge as well, which mean the best male dog for the breed. We were just pipped to the post by the more mature boy. Never mind though, there's always next week!

Hmm how do you coordinate waiting on a broody to go broody with 2 week wait from egg supplier? Just order and cross fingers?

Borrow incubator and cross fingers there is a broody to move them to before they hatch?

Wait on broody and let her sit two weeks before eggs arrive?
I havent used broodies for years, Incubators are far more efficient.

Wow... hatches, babies and adorable cuteness!! Now I want to hatch more babies :jumpy I'm glad your mp3 seems to be working @Teila . I'm glad I don't have crows cawing at ungodly hours. We just have plovers who sometimes get upset at something in the middle of the night and go off, but that's not too often. Sad news coming out of here, Casanova lost his fight. While it's unfortunate, I take comfort in the fact I have some of his babies here, and that a couple look like girls, so they'll get to stay. Also had a great day at the Wondai Ag show up in the South Burnett, with Yahtzee being awarded his first "class in group" win! What a rush it was for me! He was very nearly awarded what you call Dog Challenge as well, which mean the best male dog for the breed. We were just pipped to the post by the more mature boy. Never mind though, there's always next week!
:hugs
Sorry for your loss K. :hit Congrats to beautiful Yahtzee on his great achievements. :celebrate

Last edited:
Speaking of broodies, I'm home all day so I thought I'd see how determined Cho is, gave her the 2 week olds
I put them in under her (where such a tiny hen has the room I don't know!) and when I went to check they were all standing around her face unscathed. I'm not packing up the brooder of course, it just needs to be cleaned so I thought I'd see what she would do, she's still sitting tight in that nest

Trouble with the incubator is I then have to also have everything in place for when they hatch and I've none of that :-( with a broody I don't need the heat lamp etc and can put them straight out into the pen next to the others.

My young girl just started laying three days ago. (Large egg, small than large again). Normally my hens lay every second day so wasn't expecting the small one but it's so cute
263a.png
I'm so proud of my Lucy.

Wow... hatches, babies and adorable cuteness!! Now I want to hatch more babies :jumpy I'm glad your mp3 seems to be working @Teila . I'm glad I don't have crows cawing at ungodly hours. We just have plovers who sometimes get upset at something in the middle of the night and go off, but that's not too often. Sad news coming out of here, Casanova lost his fight. While it's unfortunate, I take comfort in the fact I have some of his babies here, and that a couple look like girls, so they'll get to stay. Also had a great day at the Wondai Ag show up in the South Burnett, with Yahtzee being awarded his first "class in group" win! What a rush it was for me! He was very nearly awarded what you call Dog Challenge as well, which mean the best male dog for the breed. We were just pipped to the post by the more mature boy. Never mind though, there's always next week!
Oh sorry for your loss. Well done with the pup. Hubby and our youngest sailed with the horses last night. Arrived safe and sound and the horses are just settling in to their new stables.

Back
Top Bottom