Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

That looks great! Do you remember where it came from? I've found enclosures similar to these when I was looking for one to just buy, also some were fully enclosed with a roof too which was pretty neat, but none were that cheap
1f60c.png
prehaps I'll have another look

I managed to track it down in my e.mails .. I purchased that one in November 2013 from Real Smart and it was only $27.96 + $10.94 Shipping [$38.90] but I note that particular one is out of stock:

http://buy.realsmart.com.au/search?w=playpen

apps and mamabokbok I popped into bunnings and located the cage panels :yesss: I took photos of shelf label as well so hopefully you can use that to get your local bunnings to order them in if they don't have them :) Looks like bunnings has cottoned on to the fact that people are buying these up quick because they have now increased the price to $34.95 ! Oh well, they're still a good investment I think.
Looks to be a very expensive way to fence anything. A roll of wire or rolls of mesh from farm supply stores would work out much cheaper.
We have used the wire and stakes in the past. But they weren't a good idea on our land as its all clay soil. We had to drive the stakes into the ground with a metal mallet or sledge hammer as the soil is so very hard. Then when it was time to move them we couldn't get the stakes out. So no, for us the steel panels ARE the better long term and portable option that suits us and our land. Different situations call for different solutions. They work well for us and have been a gr8 investment both energy and time wise. Also we bought them over time to spread the cost. It's just an idea put out there for others to use if they wish, or not.

Hey everyone, Pugg here
frow.gif
Been away from BYC for a while so I thought i'd make an update on my chooks!

My English game chicks are going quite well. The girls are fantastic mothers and my roo is an amazing father.
I promised a friend i'd give her 3, i'm still troubled which ones to give her though because I just love them all!

These two i'm definitely keeping, they are absolutely gorgeous
love.gif
and quite friendly.

My Japanese Bantam hen has gone broody on her first batch of eggs! They should hatch soon, I'm very excited.

I have a temporary enclosure that I use to make a pen when needed. As you can see in the image, it is quite good quality and comes in 8 connected panels, one with a door and you can pretty much make into whatever shape you wish. I think this one was about $40 delivered: Deals Direct have a smaller, 6 panel on special on at the moment .. I am not sure of the size of this one, but still pretty good for the price:
They are a gr8 portable fencing solution Teila!! Wish I'd seem them a few years ago! They look like you get more for your money than the steel ones from Bunnings that we bought :) Thanks for sharing:)

Hey everyone, Pugg here :frow Been away from BYC for a while so I thought i'd make an update on my chooks! My English game chicks are going quite well. The girls are fantastic mothers and my roo is an amazing father. I promised a friend i'd give her 3, i'm still troubled which ones to give her though because I just love them all! These two i'm definitely keeping, they are absolutely gorgeous :love and quite friendly. My Japanese Bantam hen has gone broody on her first batch of eggs! They should hatch soon, I'm very excited.
They look so cute. Good luck with your broody :)

Hi all... can anyone recommend a place to look for fertile eggs in the Perth region, apart from gumtree? My broody girl is well and truly on the brood so am looking for something this weekend, but it seems a bit of a struggle to find places that are actually selling (I'm looking for fairly specific but not uncommon varieties, and just one mixed dozen).

I managed to track it down in my e.mails .. I purchased that one in November 2013 from Real Smart and it was only $27.96 + $10.94 Shipping [$38.90] but I note that particular one is out of stock:

http://buy.realsmart.com.au/search?w=playpen

They are great! I'm thinking great for keeping free ranging out of garden beds as well as keeping chickens contained I want like 4
1f60f.png
and it Turns out if you type 'buy chicken RUN' into google a whole lot of options I've never seen before come up
1f631.png
it's all in the wording hey..Dunno which to choose?! Have found one that's 2m long and fully contained with doors, it's close to $100 with postage though, very tempted..

Welcome back Pugg … adorable little ones you have there! Good luck with the hatch.

Sorry swirler, I am not going to be of any assistance, wrong side of the country
wink.png

mamabokbok and locknest4 yep, the temp fencing I have has come in handy on many occasions and it folds into itself so is easy to store upright or on the flat.

I have used it for ‘look, do not touch’ integrations and it is wonderful for simply clipping onto an existing broody set-up to give them that little bit of extra room. Because it opens out to a straight, it can be fashioned into any shape and as long as both ends are either clipped together or onto something, it is free standing.

If you wanted to, you can buy or fashion a cover for them.

Also, should you wish, you can separate the panels by taking off the existing factory fasteners and replacing with cable ties if you want to put them back together again.

I will, however, add that determined bantams can easily jump over it and when very tiny, chicks can squeeze through the gaps.

But, 2 mins to set up and 2 mins to take down again, it does make a great temporary enclosure/extension.

Last edited:
Hi all... can anyone recommend a place to look for fertile eggs in the Perth region, apart from gumtree? My broody girl is well and truly on the brood so am looking for something this weekend, but it seems a bit of a struggle to find places that are actually selling (I'm looking for fairly specific but not uncommon varieties, and just one mixed dozen).

You could PM @BensHens he's in the Perth region. :)

Back
Top Bottom