Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

:weee. It's raining. Our hay paddock soo needs it.
Yay..
1f60a.png

Okay so I have just candles the Orpington eggs and I noticed at the pointy end there is a large black spot is this the yolk sacks or is there something wrong the chicks in them they are moving and there is clear vienage please help

Okay so I have just candles the Orpington eggs and I noticed at the pointy end there is a large black spot is this the yolk sacks or is there something wrong the chicks in them they are moving and there is clear vienage please help
Especially if you are using a fairly low powered light for candling (like a flashlight), the yolk/chick basically looks like a black spot once the chicks have developed past ~10 days. The photo on the left is what mine look like. If you can see the chicks moving and veins, you're doing well. <3

Last edited:
Especially if you are using a fairly low powered light for candling (like a flashlight), the yolk/chick basically looks like a black spot once the chicks have developed past ~10 days. The photo on the left is what mine look like. If you can see the chicks moving and veins, you're doing well. [/URL]
Thankyou was getting worried. They are moving and that's good was getting worried coz of the spot thanks think they are day 19 or 20 so yeah can't wait should have babies on the weekend and my eggs look like the one on the left so yeah thankyou

Last edited:
Thankyou was getting worried. They are moving and that's good was getting worried coz of the spot thanks think they are day 19 or 20 so yeah can't wait should have babies on the weekend
Well if they're day 19/20, put them down and stop touching them. ;) After day 18, eggs should be in lockdown and not touched unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY and the incubator should not be opened to prevent loss of humidity. You're probably fine but try to avoid touching them again.

At day 18 or so my eggs usually look like solid black masses because the chicks are so big.

Last edited:
Well if they're day 19/20, put them down and stop touching them. ;)  After day 18, eggs should be in lockdown and not touched unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY and the incubator should not be opened to prevent loss of humidity.  You're probably fine but try to avoid touching them again.

At day 18 or so my eggs usually look like solid black masses because the chicks are so big.
They are under a hen and she was off the nest for a quick drink so I checked and yeah they were solid black except for on with big vienage it was creamy colour will be interesting

Last edited:
Aaaaw tandykins Lothos is absolutely adorable!

Just popped in to share some pics taken of Blondzilla this afternoon ... One Very Angry Chicken!

Good grief !! .... Even her little face and eyes are full of anger. ! Their eyes are 'a bit odd' at the best of times .... but Blondzilla is putting on a real show here. She looks beautiful, even all fluffed up in rage.

Is it possible that a broody chicken can ' bring on' other chickens into broodiness ? ... Is that how it works ? And would you consider putting some dummy eggs under her - just to quieten her down a bit. At around 21 days, you could take them away ( with a " hey - Cilla, these didn't work after all, so they are for my breakfast - OK ? " ).
hu.gif

If it were me, and I even 1/4 suspected a chicken was going broody, into a large cage or crate she would go, with food and water - with a 'test run' outside, after 4 days ( that is if I had many more chickens ). I have heard of people hanging their broodies in a cockatoo cage to sway in the breezes from a tree, which I think is pretty rough on the poor chook. But - I know little to nothing, except for Mindy's two bouts of broodiness, broken in 3 days by being shut outside with her food and water, and away from the nesting box. She never attempted to 'brood' in a dust hole, or behind a tree etc. And she lives by herself, with a toy dog ( which she occasionally kicks around ) away from the murderous Mandy Welsummer.

But they gather every evening before bed, to have a chickee conference at the 2 separating fences. Had to do double fencing about a foot apart, as Mandy would stick her head through and peck at Mindy whenever she could. The small space between the two fences, is good for growing something or other - just by sprinkling seed and covering with some potting mix and old straw. On my 100 list, that ranks about 23rd !!
Had a great laugh at the "auditions for the B Grade Horror movie - at 4.45 am " !! ..... but I am guessing you didn't.
th.gif
I can only imagine what the neighbours might think !!
lau.gif

Good luck with the brood pens - I have a mental image of them all lined up - chicken faces at the wire doors, glaring "if looks could kill" ....

Never fear, one glorious day soon, they will be back to laying again.

Cheers .......

The chicks are 25 days old today. I'm starting to be able to pick out the boys from the girls. My Ancona roo seems to be the father of most if not all of them - unsurprising as he's head roo and tends to discourage the others mating.

Most of the babies are black or black and white - but little Lothos looks just like his Lavender Araucana mumma and I love him so. He's so beautiful. I have literally no idea if he is really a he. I'm still very beginner-class at identifying anything without a single comb but those legs...

Opinions? Isn't he beautiful? I just want to cuddle him.

What a little darlling. Even if this chicken is a cockerel, I doubt you could part with him. A very pretty chick.

I wouldn't know how to sex a chicken to save myself, but from a mere novice point of view - those legs, those claws !! .... They sure are big and solid, for one so young.

I would have a bet on this 'ere being a rooster.

Cheers ......

Well if they're day 19/20, put them down and stop touching them. ;)  After day 18, eggs should be in lockdown and not touched unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY and the incubator should not be opened to prevent loss of humidity.  You're probably fine but try to avoid touching them again.

x2

Back
Top Bottom