Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Appps, he's growing up so nicely :) I kinda like baby birds when they're featherless and pink, though it's good to see he's growing some fine little feathers. His dad's a very handsome fellow too.

Satay, thank you, I'd love to see pics of your Belgians, and that's a really odd egg. If you look up the chicken chick's website she has a section on unusual eggs, and mentions eggs within eggs. Here's the link http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/01/how-hen-makes-egg-egg-oddities.html

I think Agnes is improving, it's hard to keep her still, she's a wriggler. No yellow mucus out her nose this morning, but it looked blocked. By tomorrow she'll have been on the antibiotics long enough to start seeing more changes. And Beatrice passed a ringworm this morning, so it was down the hatch with some avitrol plus, thank god for the tablets.

Appps, he's growing up so nicely :) I kinda like baby birds when they're featherless and pink, though it's good to see he's growing some fine little feathers. His dad's a very handsome fellow too.

Satay, thank you, I'd love to see pics of your Belgians, and that's a really odd egg. If you look up the chicken chick's website she has a section on unusual eggs, and mentions eggs within eggs. Here's the link http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/01/how-hen-makes-egg-egg-oddities.html

I think Agnes is improving, it's hard to keep her still, she's a wriggler. No yellow mucus out her nose this morning, but it looked blocked. By tomorrow she'll have been on the antibiotics long enough to start seeing more changes. And Beatrice passed a ringworm this morning, so it was down the hatch with some avitrol plus, thank god for the tablets.  

You can flush the nares with oticlean or otiderm ( available at the vet. ) , or use peroxide 6% and spray Terramycin across the eye. Chlorsig human eye drops are also antibiotic, and I use them in nasal and eye problems. As you are already administering oral antibiotics best to wait and see. You may however need to unblock the nares .

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/NasalFlush/NasalFlush.html

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/PluggedNare/PluggedNare.html

Last edited:

I think Agnes is improving, it's hard to keep her still, she's a wriggler. No yellow mucus out her nose this morning, but it looked blocked. By tomorrow she'll have been on the antibiotics long enough to start seeing more changes. And Beatrice passed a ringworm this morning, so it was down the hatch with some avitrol plus, thank god for the tablets.  

I only managed to grab some photos of the millie Fleurs this morning as it has been one of those mornings.( Fancy, Appps and Ash) I will try to get some of the others in the next few days,
I have found some slightly older pics that ill post for now .

My frizzle belgian named Teila :) and my blue mottle rooster.

My porcleain pair named anni and rodney.

Last edited:
Just thought Id share some photos from this morning of our baby dove Maddox (it means little fortunate one). He is 8 days old now I think and after supplementing what mum and dad were feeding him for about 24 hours they have now got it worked out and are feeding him themselves. And this is Dad giving me the evil eye LOL
Grown so much already

I hope I haven't missed much
263a.png
My internet has been down for the past week or so.
2-3 days ago my mothers heeler broke into the pen and took my poor Pek-I out and ended his little life.

I hope everyone has had a good few days while I was gone
263a.png

@satay I hope you got the package
263a.png

The eggs I had due to hatch on my birthday failed.
1f44e-1f3fc.png
1f44e-1f3fc.png

So I am looking for a replacement for little Pek-I is anyone has anything near Ballarat
263a.png

Just showing off my main man (Spencer) growing into such a big boy.

Speaking of odd not laid right eggs. I got this one yesterday. A normal white shell on the outside and when i cracked it open it had another egg inside as well as this. The second egg was like a hard boiled egg without the shell on the outside and it was like the white of a normal egg (raw) on the inside. Very odd.

Ohhh !! I think I would call that almost spooky. Would love to know how that could happen !!

Cheers ....

Well my little one eyed hen ' chicken little ' , didn't have much success with her hatch , the eggs were rotten under the hedge where she had them hidden. Yesterday I found one little chick hatched in one of the coops so I gave it to her. She snuggled it up under her and hasn't let it out of her sight. I was hoping to give her another today but found one full term but squashed and dead . :(
It's been a heart breaking week here. Unfortunately our number 1 star jumper had to be retired , under vetinary advice. His X-rays revealed bone on bone in his hocks ( a result of surgery from his racing days ) and whilst he could still be worked , to ask him to compete at 1 meter 50 is not on. Jack will live his days out here and on Tuesday when the truck left without him he flogged around the paddock as if to say , ' hey guys , are you forgetting someone ? ' That dashes her hopes of riding in the young rider series this year.
On a brighter note our newest off the track horse Robin , had his first outing and was very well behaved . Our other young mare won her first blue ribbon . :)

Last edited:
HI Annie, calcium carbonate is more readily absorbed but the danger of adding it to feed is that if you overdose the birds it can cause organ damage. Most birds and horses will only take it if they are lacking. Seaweed meal a perfect example of this, only a horse that is lacking in selenium will look twice at a tub of seaweed meal, but if you add it to the feed ration and they don't need it , the horse will ' break out ' , get lumps all up and down the head and shoulders. I have seen this several times.
Sometimes its not the calcium that causes soft eggs , but more the calcium to phosherous rates being absorbed by the bird. Linoleic acid and methionine are important amino acids that are added to good quality poultry feeds but are sadly lacking in some of the budget pellets.
The importance of feed in the correct ratio and limiting snacks and treats is as important to our feathered friends as it is to us.

Back
Top Bottom