Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Howdy ThePoultryLife welcome to BYC and the thread, lovely to meet you.

Good luck with the hatch.  We have a rule; we do not believe you until we see the pictures .. kidding!  But, when your little ones hatch, I hope you are able to share some pics with us.

Hey Fancy, speaking for myself I am not sure “busy” is the right word .. maybe “waffling” ;)   Sorry to hear that you have been under the weather but great news on Flossy.  Beautiful horsey pic!  Good luck with your quail hatch also.

No news of note from Bambrook Bantams, plodding along nicely.  If you have not seen it already, the Poultry Shaming thread is fun:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...byc-poultry-shaming-thread-w-hosts-mike-sally

Edited to Add: Anyone else been watching The Kettering Incident and the final episode last night?  What The?  If there is not a season 2, there is 8 wasted hours of my life that I will not get back :idunno

The what incident ?

The what incident ?

Kettering incident . Kettering is a town south of Hobart.
263a.png

Any chance this egg is fertile?

The next two where in placement of the duck egg but i think these are dud

She has been sitting for 6-7 days

Last edited:
Any chance this egg is fertile?

The next two where in placement of the duck egg but i think these are dud

She has been sitting for 6-7 days

After 6 days it should be visible. If she has been sitting firm then they are not viable. If she is still sitting loosely and spending a few hours at a time away from the nest then it's too soon to tell from that angle. Take pics next week.

Thanks Anniebee great information!

Yeah, I have to agree, all research and pictures are pointing to Chucky being a juvenile grey. As he visits every day without fail, I will hopefully be able to monitor if he starts to change and develop more of the adult grey colouring and yep, I will keep you updated.

Chucky does have a hook on his beak but not as pronounced as the one in the picture you sourced from the net.

He is slightly bigger than a Turtle Dove and on comparing the adult next to the Turtle Dove and Chucky next to the Turtle Dove, only slightly smaller than the adult, if at all.

Yep, I will be careful if an adult is around and also keep in mind that Chucky is a potential predator if we have chicks. Hopefully he can learn some boundaries where the chickens are concerned and continue to live in harmony with them; apart from the occasional telling offs by Dusty that is
wink.png

He is a cheeky little thing and kinda fun to have around though.

Teila ...

Meant to mention that Chucky will possibly not develop his / her mature feathering, until first half of next year. But you might notice some very subtle changes soon. Might be quite a wait, however, to see Chucky in full adult feather.

Mature magpies moult some time in summer / early autumn... but as the two breeds of bird are of the same genus, it is likely they do much the same things. Magpies new feathering is usually magnificent, and of course the male is splendid - in time for the mating season, which is mid to late winter. Will still look forward to updates ... and I might be wrong - butcher birds might come into adult feathers earlier than maggies do.

Not sure about butcher birds, except that they are similar in size to the adult. Magpie juveniles, on the other hand, become larger than their parents, when parents are still feeding them everything they can find. The parents become thin and therefore I guess, look smaller - bubbies gets big and fat.

Cheers ...........

hi all. I have been actively keeping up to date with everyone's post but nothing to add - until now that is. I am curious to know if I mate a Blue Birchen Marans rooster over a Wheaton Marans hen will the chicks be sexed linked? I have tried reading up on the whole sex linking thing but get so confused. The couple I've had hatch so far seem to be indicating they may be sex linked with the blue chicks showing boy characteristics, but they are only a few weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom