Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

There was a group that setup to specifically import a few new breeds in Australia. They ran 3 sets and it takes about 2 years as it needs to be done in several quarantine stages, moving only the eggs for the next stage.

Yes avgen has imported a few different breeds over the last few years. They are ubber expensive though and only a few have them but none the less those chickens looks great and i'd be happy to have them in my flock. Congrats to you .

Last edited:
Good morning folks
frow.gif

Congrats on the new layer SilkieChickStar.

Aaaaw Ashburnham your baby goat is so cute and sooo white!
cool.png
Good luck with the hatches; nice looking selection of eggs.

Hoping you are able to locate some Phoenix jessbonnitcha and good luck with the hatch. Your Derpy is a cutie!

Nice to see you again Henriettasmum. Wow, you have been busy! Sorry to read that your little one did not make it. I agree it sounds like pasty butt and as always on this thread, you have already received great advice on treating it.

Good to see you also LuckysMum. You also sound like you have been busy. There are some nice looking chookies in those pics. With chicken math, resistance is futile
wink.png

AustralorpsAU Your blues are beautiful!

MyHaven Lizzy is beautiful also .. she looks huge in that picture!

Luv1another you have some beautiful chickens also .. nice pics! Wow, that is a big egg!

Nice pics also manualname.

kat79 as Fancy has mentioned, I have read that cracks in eggs can be sealed with clear nail polish but I have never tried it. I hope the little one makes it.

satay I am still undecided on whether I am a fan of the NBN or not. While hubby and son seem pleased with the speed, I have not really noticed a lot of difference. I have, however, noticed that my remote session into work which used to drop out occasionally is now dropping out more frequently since the switch to NBN
th.gif

Hey Anniebee sorry, no problems with the site here.

Well, as I type at 07:30AM in the morning, the girls are free ranging in the garden (unsupervised). Why? Because Crystal will not shut up!

I know I probably built a rod for my own back but, of late, it just seems to be ALL about the chickens and a minute’s peace is not going to happen. A nice, new, big coop, covered run and many hours supervised free range on the weekend and every afternoon is not enough for Crystal, she wants out constantly!

As you know, she normally starts demanding to be let out anywhere after 2-3pm and for the past week or so we have had to let them out at that time and leave them unsupervised until I finish work at 4 because she is not letting up. After feeding them at 06:00AM this morning, she starts demanding to be let out at 06:30AM and she is loud! Of course letting her out was a bad move because now she is going to do that every morning. So it looks like I now have unsupervised free range chickens with hugely increased risk of predator loss
sad.png

Good morning folks :frow

Congrats on the new layer SilkieChickStar.

Aaaaw Ashburnham your baby goat is so cute and sooo white! :cool:  Good luck with the hatches; nice looking selection of eggs.

Hoping you are able to locate some Phoenix jessbonnitcha and good luck with the hatch.  Your Derpyis a cutie!

Nice to see you again Henriettasmum.  Wow, you have been busy!  Sorry to read that your little one did not make it.  I agree it sounds like pasty butt and as always on this thread, you have already received great advice on treating it.

Good to see you also LuckysMum.  You also sound like you have been busy.  There are some nice looking chookies in those pics.  With chicken math, resistance is futile ;)

AustralorpsAU Your blues are beautiful!

MyHaven Lizzy is beautiful also .. she looks huge in that picture!

Luv1another you have some beautiful chickens also .. nice pics!  Wow, that is a big egg!

Nice pics also manualname.

kat79 as Fancy has mentioned, I have read that cracks in eggs can be sealed with clear nail polish but I have never tried it.  I hope the little one makes it.

satay I am still undecided on whether I am a fan of the NBN or not.  While hubby and son seem pleased with the speed, I have not really noticed a lot of difference.  I have, however, noticed that my remote session into work which used to drop out occasionally is now dropping out more frequently since the switch to NBN :th

Hey Anniebee sorry, no problems with the site here.

Well, as I type at 07:30AM in the morning, the girls are free ranging in the garden (unsupervised).  Why?  Because Crystal will not shut up! 

I know I probably built a rod for my own back but, of late, it just seems to be ALL about the chickens and a minute’s peace is not going to happen.  A nice, new, big coop, covered run and many hours supervised free range on the weekend and every afternoon is not enough for Crystal, she wants out constantly!

As you know, she normally starts demanding to be let out anywhere after 2-3pm and for the past week or so we have had to let them out at that time and leave them unsupervised until I finish work at 4 because she is not letting up.  After feeding them at 06:00AM this morning, she starts demanding to be let out at 06:30AM and she is loud!  Of course letting her out was a bad move because now she is going to do that every morning.  So it looks like I now have unsupervised free range chickens with hugely increased risk of predator loss :(   

Put crystal in a black out box. If she can't see any light she should be quite. If you do that for a few days it should make her happy and quite just to be on the coop.

I have my new girls 60 of them. My husband knows chicken math too. lol
I don't know what most of them are. I have no idea how I'm going to pick 20 to keep. The photos don't do them justice, tomorrow I will try and get some better pictures. I feel the luckiest person to have so many beautiful girls and a husband who is so understanding. He has been building and modifying all week for 40 and he brought home 60, he didn't know which to leave and they decided to leave it up to me. They are fliers so I am going to have trouble free ranging. Most of them are a small chicken, when I went out at 8pm they were roosting on the roof of the coop in one run and along the fence and above the door in the other run, I am so glad we put netting up in both runs. I will try trimming wings on some of the girls but I hate to chop such beautiful feathers.

I don't know what most of them are. I have no idea how I'm going to pick 20 to keep. The photos don't do them justice, tomorrow I will try and get some better pictures. I feel the luckiest person to have so many beautiful girls and a husband who is so understanding. He has been building and modifying all week for 40 and he brought home 60, he didn't know which to leave and they decided to leave it up to me. They are fliers so I am going to have trouble free ranging. Most of them are a small chicken, when I went out at 8pm they were roosting on the roof of the coop in one run and along the fence and above the door in the other run, I am so glad we put netting up in both runs. I will try trimming wings on some of the girls but I hate to chop such beautiful feathers.

LuckysMum .... They sure are beautiful chickens ... good luck with the selection.

Most flight feathers are tucked up under the actual fleshy wing part, so they will not look 'bereft' of feathers if you clip them ... about 2 inches from the ends of the longest feathers should be enough, on both sides, without chopping into the 'quick' that is in them all.

All stunners, but the black and white with the very long tail is intriguing to say the least.

p.s. ... Teila ...... the rich text editor on this site, has returned ...... yaaay. !!

Last edited:
I have my new girls 60 of them. My husband knows chicken math too. lol I don't know what most of them are. I have no idea how I'm going to pick 20 to keep. The photos don't do them justice, tomorrow I will try and get some better pictures. I feel the luckiest person to have so many beautiful girls and a husband who is so understanding. He has been building and modifying all week for 40 and he brought home 60, he didn't know which to leave and they decided to leave it up to me. They are fliers so I am going to have trouble free ranging. Most of them are a small chicken, when I went out at 8pm they were roosting on the roof of the coop in one run and along the fence and above the door in the other run, I am so glad we put netting up in both runs. I will try trimming wings on some of the girls but I hate to chop such beautiful feathers.
That speckled Sussex is rather nice. It's generally best to lock new birds in the coop for the first week so they know where to go back to at night . I've tried wing trimming it has worked on some and not on others. Good luck with your new flock.

Good morning all
frow.gif

Wow, that is a lot of chickens LuckysMum and yep, it is going to be a tough decision which ones to keep; there are some real beauties in the bunch. I reckon hubby made the right move leaving it to you to pick.

Many thanks for the suggestion sjturner. My comment “rod for my own back” pretty much sums it up in that I am such a softie when it comes to my gals and I couldn’t bear to put Crystal in a black out box. While she is noisy, I would feel bad locking her up and I know she would not like that. Yesterday was more of a mini-vent and if I am not prepared to take other steps to hush her, I have to suck it up and live with the consequences
wink.png

It does worry me a little that, if you and others remember, KiKi got quite loud and demanding before we suddenly lost her. Crystal [18 months old] was one of the quiet ones and has only become louder and more demanding in the last couple of weeks. I have everything crossed that I am not seeing some sort of trend!
sad.png

Well, it was only a matter of time .. Cilla and Blondie are broody; let the games begin! Lol
hide.gif

The nest boxes are off limits and Cilla is walking around the garden, when she is not trying to break into the nest box, picking on all and sundry and Blondie is walking around the garden, doing puffer fish impersonations and took, took, tooking
lau.gif

Last edited:

They look to be good quality chooks. You shouldn't have any trouble selling some.
If you are trimming the wings, I recommend only doing one wing as that will unbalance them and make flying difficult.\
If you do both wings they learn to compensate.

Back
Top Bottom