Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hey there sweetbeak Unfortunately not only I am in Queensland I am also not allowed to have roosters. However, I just wanted to say that they are beautiful!

Thanks all for the comments on cat food. I was not thinking of giving the girls cat food, pretty much the same as I would not consider giving the cats chicken food. I was, however, interested as I read often about chickens loving cat food.

Loved the video Fizzybelle. I was thinking ‘aaaaw, poor chicken’ when the cat started hitting it but chuckled when the chicken won
wink.png

Love your little helpers sjturner79 .. so cute!

Sorry for all the pics but just sharing our day in pictures.

First up, I can not sing the praises enough of the slide out coop floor. It has been in for 6 months now and still looking great. So easy to clean .. slide out, wash, dry in sun, put back. Each morning I dustpan and brush the poops and throw them in the compost, quick wipe over, nice and clean:

My view from the gazebo .. I love it!

First order of business for the gals was a bath:

LuLu demonstrating how a Frizzle does it!
wink.png

Watermelon for lunch:

Afternoon nap on the deck:

Posed for some pictures:

LuLu doing ‘cute’:

One of our regular afternoon visitors taking advantage of the top pond:

sjturner79 ..... love the enthusiastic help you had in the compost heap. !!

Teila .... what lovely photographs. Loved the one of the girls having an afternoon nap.

Made me feel not so bad about Mandy, who as you know - sits down ( naps ) often. While she has got an arthritic type condition, when she sits to rest - her tail shoots straight up and I know she is comfortable. Is also walking around more now, with tail erect as it should be. A little more each day.

Rather think she will be on anti-inflammatories or baby aspirin for the rest of her days - with breaks here and there. Also she's had her first lot of Anitone ... will do that every other day for her - and once a week for Molly ( she doesn't need boosting ).

Cheers all and enjoy the rest of the weekend ....

p.s. ... more high winds here today - more rain tomorrow - will this garbage never end.
he.gif

Last edited:
I don't feed my chooks cat food, they just come in and steal it if they can.
My cats mostly eat the cheap Coles cat biscuits
I don't know and pros for feeding cat food,
But as for cons- if a chicken ate only cat food for a 4 days it would most likely die of salt overdose .

That's exactly what i feed my nearly 16 year old cat ty, Coles brand. Have tried all the more expensive brands and he turns his nose up at them. Bida has been busted many times stealing his dry food from in the house.

Hey there sweetbeak Unfortunately not only I am in Queensland I am also not allowed to have roosters. However, I just wanted to say that they are beautiful! Thanks all for the comments on cat food. I was not thinking of giving the girls cat food, pretty much the same as I would not consider giving the cats chicken food. I was, however, interested as I read often about chickens loving cat food. Loved the video Fizzybelle. I was thinking ‘aaaaw, poor chicken’ when the cat started hitting it but chuckled when the chicken won ;) Love your little helpers sjturner79 .. so cute! Sorry for all the pics but just sharing our day in pictures. First up, I can not sing the praises enough of the slide out coop floor. It has been in for 6 months now and still looking great. So easy to clean .. slide out, wash, dry in sun, put back. Each morning I dustpan and brush the poops and throw them in the compost, quick wipe over, nice and clean: My view from the gazebo .. I love it! First order of business for the gals was a bath: LuLu demonstrating how a Frizzle does it! ;) Watermelon for lunch: Afternoon nap on the deck: Posed for some pictures: LuLu doing ‘cute’: One of our regular afternoon visitors taking advantage of the top pond:
I love your girls they are so pretty.

No idea on the answers, as never done it but as for what kind, funny thing I saw on the checkout once, they had chicken and beef cat food all being advertised as special and tasty in their own way with special recipes etc but they all had exactly the same ingredients right down to the beef actually containing chicken lol. So I'm going with any type
1f602.png

That's really cool! I am glad he's at your house not mine though lol

Surprising how many people have told me that. :lau I find them quite fascinating. He/she is still here sleeping up on some guttering hubby has stored up high behind the shed. i watched it for quite a while slither along the ground behind the fence where the pictures were taken. It actually went right through were the marans were free ranging and neither bothered with the other. Snakes are actually quite smart and as long as they aren't threatened they know they can't eat a marans so they leave it be.

sjturner79 ..... love the enthusiastic help you had in the compost heap.  !!

Teila .... what lovely photographs.   Loved the one of the girls having an afternoon nap.  

Made me feel not so bad about Mandy, who as you know - sits down ( naps ) often.   While she has got an arthritic type condition, when she sits to rest - her tail shoots straight up and I know she is comfortable.  Is also walking around more now, with tail erect as it should be.   A little more each day.  

Rather think she will be on anti-inflammatories or baby aspirin for the rest of her days - with breaks here and there.   Also she's had her first lot of Anitone ... will do that every other day for her - and once a week for Molly ( she doesn't need boosting ).

Cheers all and enjoy the rest of the weekend  ....

p.s. ... more high winds here today - more rain tomorrow -  will this garbage never end. :he   

You can keep your winds anni but i'll have some of the rain we are so need it . I really do live in the land that rain forgot.

Good morning folks
frow.gif

Anniebee good to read that Mandy is walking around more. Yep, the gals will usually take a nap on the deck a couple of times during the day and also cuddle up with Mr Concrete Frog.

I have been putting the Anitone on their Saturday breakfast and I am pleased to report that they eat it all. The first time I have really ever been able to get anything into them without them detecting it
wink.png

Stay safe during your not so nice weather.

satay just the word “slither” gives me the heebie-jeebies and that forked tongue thing .. pass yet again!
hide.gif
Lol

Fingers crossed for some rain tomorrow in the possible storms that are predicted.

On the subject of cat food. Chimee and Syba get Friskies biscuits for breakfast and throughout the day; they love Friskies! They share a small can of wet food each night. They do not do cheap and prefer Dine and Fancy Feast etc Syba’s favourite is Applaws Tuna with Seaweed and Chimee’s is Dine’s Desire, Virgin Flaked Tuna. Yes, they are spoiled
wink.png

While Chimee loves raw veal, Syba does not do veal. However, he loves raw mince and Chimee does not. They even seem to know which nights we are having veal and mince now. If hubby is making hamburgers, Syba is right there, begging for some titbits and Chimee is nowhere to be seen. On veal night, Chimee is right there and Syba is MIA. Tuesdays the girls get scrambled eggs for breakfast and Syba loves to lick the mixture before it goes in the microwave; Chimee is so not interested in egg. Such different pusonalities
wink.png

We have a chuckle about Syba’s three dinners. He has his dinner, then he has what Chimee did not eat of her dinner and then he helps Dad eat his dinner. Be it steak, or hamburgers or tacos, chicken etc, Syba always helps Dad eat his dinner. If it has gravy, Syba is all over it!

So, I have another random question .............

What causes the tips of black chickens' feathers to go white?

This is a picture of Dusty in August 2014, the white bits are obvious [she moulted in April that year]:

Since that picture she has been all black at times and white tips at others. I noticed yesterday that she has white creeping back in again.

I have not managed to pin point a time-frame, for example pre moult or post moult, but I have noticed that in her three and a half years, sometimes she is all black and others, black with white tips.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom