Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Good morning, my australorp chicks are sick. Symptoms started late yesterday and include:
lethargic,
Huddled and fluffed as if cold,
Bright red blood in watery stools,
Excessive thirst,
Squishy crops.

They are 4 weeks old, on medicated chick starter and because of the stormy weather here haven't been out on the grass until yesterday. I wormed them this morning and gave the weaker ones poly aid plus.
Getting coccidiosis meds today.
Are there any other ideas out there

Thanks in advance.

Good morning, my australorp chicks are sick. Symptoms started late yesterday and include:
lethargic,
Excessive thirst,
Squishy crops.

They are 4 weeks old, on medicated chick starter and because of the stormy weather here haven't been out on the grass until yesterday. I wormed them this morning and gave the weaker ones poly aid plus.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry no advice just hope they get better quick.

lethargic,
Excessive thirst,
Squishy crops.

Thanks in advance.

Hey MyHaven

Sorry to hear that. As you know, I am definitely not an expert when it comes to what ails chickens but my first thought was Coccidiosis also.

I hope you are able to diagnose and treat them successfully
fl.gif

Sorry no advice just hope they get better quick.

Hey MyHaven

Sorry to hear that. As you know, I am definitely not an expert when it comes to what ails chickens but my first thought was Coccidiosis also.

I hope you are able to diagnose and treat them successfully
fl.gif

Thanks I have no personal experience with coccidiosis as I am a little paranoid about keeping chicks water and feed containers clean and scrubbing them out daily.

I have had trouble with the compressed sawdust I have being using on the base of the brooder getting in their water so I thought I'd be smart and raise it on a block. While I was at work it fell off and when I came home the floor of the cage was saturated and with the heat and increased humidity it had gone bad. It stank to high heaven. That was a couple of days ago - so incubation period fits.

But what I wonder about is the squishy crops and excessive thirst.

Cheers

Thanks I have no personal experience with coccidiosis as I am a little paranoid about keeping chicks water and feed containers clean and scrubbing them out daily.

I have had trouble with the compressed sawdust I have being using on the base of the brooder getting in their water so I thought I'd be smart and raise it on a block. While I was at work it fell off and when I came home the floor of the cage was saturated and with the heat and increased humidity it had gone bad. It stank to high heaven. That was a couple of days ago - so incubation period fits.

Cheers

Hey again MyHaven

There is a good article on Coccidiosis here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it

But, as you said, it does not explain the squishy crops and excessive thirst. Could they have eaten the compressed sawdust when wet and this has caused crop issues?
hu.gif

lethargic,
Excessive thirst,
Squishy crops.

Thanks in advance.
MyHaven ........

You have had a very hard year - and now this. I am so sorry.

Not at all an expert, but agree - possibly cocci .... ( from research the poly-aid plus has some pro-biotic in it, which is essential to help regain and keep the intestines in good order ). More pro-biotic needed ?
Wondering about the water ? .... I know this might sound very very strange, but perhaps boiling up many jugs of water, letting it cool, refridgerate it in clean containers - and give that to them rather than tap water. Bring to a rolling boil for at least 1 minute. Kills bacteria.

With your rather weird weather up there recently, it's what I would do for humans, animals and birds alike.

Strange that they are indeed on medicated chick starter AND have not been out on the grass ( which can host oocysts ).

I wish you and your chickens the very best, and I hope they recover well.

hugs.gif

p.s. .... re the saturated floor from the water, which smelled bad. Bacteria plus I would think - and they, being ground pickers most likely would have had a bit of a feast of fluffed up sawdust. Vet intervention for broad spectrum anti-biotics ?

Don't know about chickens, but I know dogs that are off their food for bacterial infections, will drink more water - it is natural for them to try and flush the gut of nasties.

Last edited:
Hey again MyHaven

There is a good article on Coccidiosis here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it

But, as you said, it does not explain the squishy crops and excessive thirst. Could they have eaten the compressed sawdust when wet and this has caused crop issues?
hu.gif

I agree with them eating the sawdust. I had trouble with some of mine doing that. So I changed to sand, I bought clean white sand from Bunnings its easy to clean up after too.
I hope you find the answer and they get better quickly.

Cheers

As Teila said they can get completely clogged with sawdust or wood shavings, but that doesn't really explain the bloody poops. I would treat them with amprolium and remove the bedding.

As Teila said they can get completely clogged with sawdust or wood shavings, but that doesn't really explain the bloody poops. I would treat them with amprolium and remove the bedding.

I agree with them eating the sawdust. I had trouble with some of mine doing that. So I changed to sand, I bought clean white sand from Bunnings its easy to clean up after too.
I hope you find the answer and they get better quickly.

Thanks, the sawdust is compressed not shavings. I don't believe they are eating it. They were scratching yuk into the water.

When I got home my little blue girl was dead but all the others including the one I was worried would die were all great considering. All bright and flighty. And that was after worming.

Can flies spread worms. These guys hadn't been on the ground.

Thanks so much four your help.

Edited to add - that I will remove the bedding anyway. cheers

Last edited:
The next few days maybe a little buys as we get ready to spend Christmas day in brissy this year. So a merry Christmas to everyone on the aussie thread. I hope you all get to spend great time with your families and chickens as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom