Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

How you going down there Fancy? I have seen the rather hot weather you have been having. Thankfully we have not been to bad with temps though it has become really dry again. Not to much to report which for me some times is a good thing . Main pen is laying well. The Belgians have gone on strike and my one remaining girl marans is not at age to lay yet but her brother(not related) is doing his best I'm going figure how to crow thing at the moment which always gives me a giggle. How is everyone elses going?

Hi! I’m new here *waves* from the Gold Coast. I’m a chicken Mum to 3 beautiful ladies (currently as I lost one last weekend from wild bird attack).
I have a 27 week old Isa Brown (Scarlet) her sister was the one I lost & I have 2 15 week old crazies (Stella the Light Sussex & Evangeline like Australorp).
I want to add another hen to my flock to keep Scarlet company as she is very lost and lonely without her sister but that’s another question.

Hi SarahMonique,
I'm pretty new here too, but welcome!
Sorry to hear you lost one of your lovely girls. It becomes apparent pretty quickly exactly how social these beautiful birds are. I hope you will find a suitable companion for her and that she becomes happy with the flock until then. I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice here about how to add a new girl to your flock.
I have 2 Araucanas, 2 Light Sussex, 2 Australorps and a Wyandotte, although I am going to have to return a few to the farm I purchased them from as we can't keep roosters. I can see two that I'm sure are boys, but gender predictions welcome!

My (current) flock (at 8ish weeks old):
blueberry.jpg
caramella.jpg
clementine.jpg
hattie.jpg
ivy_buttercup.jpg
licorice_pebble.jpg

They are gorgeous! I’m currently on the hunt for a gold or silver laced wyandotte. They are just stunning.
I’ve had to surrender 3 roosters in my short 12 months of being a chicken mother and going but my experience I would say Licorice & Clementine could possible be Roos. But that’s just from what I’ve seen no expert here! I had a Light Sussex that I was sure was a hen until he started mounting my girls. My daughter was quite shocked by the whole ordeal hahah.

Haha. I hope your daughter has recovered. :)
Yeah Licorice and Clementine are the ones I'm sure of. Will be sad to see them both go. Licorice is actually my favourite. He's happy to be held, will roost on my arm or shoulder while I walk around the garden feeding him bits and pieces. Clementine is really entertaining. He's the biggests guts. Goes nuts when I bring out treats. The Araucanas seem female: their combs have been pale and mostly not visible, but I think they come out of their shells later than a lot of other breeds too, but I remain optimistic!

Hi! I’m new here *waves* from the Gold Coast. I’m a chicken Mum to 3 beautiful ladies (currently as I lost one last weekend from wild bird attack).
I have a 27 week old Isa Brown (Scarlet) her sister was the one I lost & I have 2 15 week old crazies (Stella the Light Sussex & Evangeline like Australorp).
I want to add another hen to my flock to keep Scarlet company as she is very lost and lonely without her sister but that’s another question.
:welcome

Hi SarahMonique,
I'm pretty new here too, but welcome!
Sorry to hear you lost one of your lovely girls. It becomes apparent pretty quickly exactly how social these beautiful birds are. I hope you will find a suitable companion for her and that she becomes happy with the flock until then. I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice here about how to add a new girl to your flock.
I have 2 Araucanas, 2 Light Sussex, 2 Australorps and a Wyandotte, although I am going to have to return a few to the farm I purchased them from as we can't keep roosters. I can see two that I'm sure are boys, but gender predictions welcome!

My (current) flock (at 8ish weeks old):View attachment 1241326 View attachment 1241327 View attachment 1241328 View attachment 1241329 View attachment 1241330 View attachment 1241331
MY guess is Blueberry possible boy
Caramella, i'm lead towards boy with the thickness of the legs
Licorice and pebbles i'd go boys too.
Clemintine has a big comb for 8 weeks so I's keep an eye on that one too.

Hey Laylaloveschickens

I have only transported birds within Queensland so I can not help you regarding quarantine etc. However, 7 months ago we did fly our much loved 5 x bantams from Brisbane when we moved because I was not parting with them.

We used Jet Pets and they picked them up from our home and drove them to Brisbane Airport. Once they touched down in Townsville, their Townsville agent then drove them the 1.5 hours to our new home.

I highly recommend Jet Pets, they were awesome!

The girls ranged in age from 3 to 4.5 years old and handled the flight etc very well.

betR2 my silkies won't go up into the coop either, they have 2, 2 story houses one has roosts and the nesting boxes and the other they can hop up into it and there are 2 nesting boxes in there too. But they won't go into them, its so frustrating, we put them in there and they quickly get out and won't go back in. We had 110ml of rain the other day and I put a tarp along one side so the rain wouldn't blow in so they moved to the other side. The ground was soaking but they wouldn't go on the roosts they sat on the we ground. I am at my wits end. I am probably going to have to lock them in the coop in winter. They do say silkies aren't the full quid.
:welcomesarah Monique
Good luck with the roos you too, Suzalorp I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Is anyone else having problems getting this site to load. It's getting very frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom