Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

After 26 weeks, today was the first day that any of my pullets have shown any interest in the nesting boxes, and today, they had to be in the same box, big time. Pebble, Australorp (bottom of pecking order) normally avoids Buttercup, the alpha (Light Sussex), but today she was all: "I have to get in that box RIGHT NOW lady!"
upload_2018-5-11_17-48-6.png

They finally sorted it out and made their way to separate boxes.
upload_2018-5-11_17-53-35.png

And I got this.
upload_2018-5-11_17-54-41.png

So exciting, but nothing from Pebble yet after all that desperation to be in the box. Also, so much noisy bok-bok-bok-KAH from Buttercup until she laid the egg!

Update: Pebble started paying today too.

Have you guys found that when you have pullets growing up together, they start laying at the same time?

Having said that, I still have a Wyandotte that seems curious about what the other pullets are doing, but doesn't quite get it, and an Araucana that (although the same age) is too young to even tell if it's a he or a she.

p.s. Happy Mother's Day to all the chicken mums!

Hi all, is this where I post questions on the Australian page? If so, I was wondering if anyone has any info or a review on the Italian made Borotto incubators - I don't believe they've been sold in Australia until fairly recently. I'm looking to buy an incubator and would like to get it right. They are fairly expensive, but I don't want to go through 2 or 3 cheap dinky ones before biting the bullet and paying for a decent model.

Otherwise does anyone have any other favourites in the $2-300 price range and why?

Last edited:
Hi all, is this where I post questions on the Australian page? If so, I was wondering if anyone has any info or a review on the Italian made Borotto incubators - I don't believe they've been sold in Australia until fairly recently. I'm looking to buy an incubator and would like to get it right. They are fairly expensive, but I don't want to go through 2 or 3 cheap dinky ones before biting the bullet and paying for a decent model.

Otherwise does anyone have any other favourites in the $2-300 price range and why?

Find a broody hen and plonk her down on the eggs :D cheap and effective.

I have the Italian Covina incubator, I haven’t that much success with it, but my friend has hatched plenty of quail in it. I think that brinsea are a very good brand.

Hello All!!!
Looks like I will be moving away from the town I live in at Christmas.
I need some ideas on how to transport my 4 ladies and then when I get to my next locaiton what to do with them until I ahve a new coop for them. My initial thoughts were to transport them in the back of my RAV4 in large cat carriers (2 birds in each) with straw, food and water.
Does anyone have any experience with transporting chickens long distances? and what should I do with them at night when they go to bed while Im organising their new coop?

Last edited:
Hi, I thought I'd pop in and say hi on this thread! I'm an Aussie living in France. Grew up at Cowra / Orange so a NSW girl! Loving having chooks, got my first 3 at Christmas and now have 9 with 7 eggs being sat on - oops - Chicken maths :lau

Back
Top Bottom