Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

I'm looking at some coloured Merinos ewes, and maybe an Aussie White ram.
I love the coloured Merinos, and I would like to learn how to shear sheep, but at the same time would like to use the lambs for meat.
Not quite sure though, but I'll be having a look at someone's flock next week.
That’s awesome! :eek:

I'm looking at some coloured Merinos ewes, and maybe an Aussie White ram.
I love the coloured Merinos, and I would like to learn how to shear sheep, but at the same time would like to use the lambs for meat.
Not quite sure though, but I'll be having a look at someone's flock next week.
Interesting! Learning shearing would be a handy skill.
I personally like the shedding breeds though :)

Interesting! Learning shearing would be a handy skill.
I personally like the shedding breeds though :)
What do you think of Dorpers?
Its probably partly because of irresponsible neighbours, (letting theirs go all over the place) but I've never been that keen on them.
The Aussie Whites are a definite improvement IMO.

What do you think of Dorpers?
Its probably partly because of irresponsible neighbours, (letting theirs go all over the place) but I've never been that keen on them.
The Aussie Whites are a definite improvement IMO.
I think we had a dorper ram or two at some point, which meant we ended up with a couple cross ewes too. My preference is the Damaras, but I am biased :p

I don't really know anything about them, what are they like?
In temperament and things?
They're somewhat rare breed these days, I believe. We had to sell our flock when we moved, we kept one because she kinda became a pet. She's a nice sheep. We always tried to not tame our sheep otherwise they'd make a nuisance of themselves. Sugar is a good mix of people wary and friendly, will come for food but otherwise stays clear of you.
They're very low maintenance. You don't have to touch their tails, they shed so no shearing, and they're desert sheep so are fairly well suited to our climate.
We would eat the wethers and generally sell or keep the young ewes.

They're somewhat rare breed these days, I believe. We had to sell our flock when we moved, we kept one because she kinda became a pet. She's a nice sheep. We always tried to not tame our sheep otherwise they'd make a nuisance of themselves. Sugar is a good mix of people wary and friendly, will come for food but otherwise stays clear of you.
They're very low maintenance. You don't have to touch their tails, they shed so no shearing, and they're desert sheep so are fairly well suited to our climate.
We would eat the wethers and generally sell or keep the young ewes.
Thank you for that!
They do sound rather good, but I haven't seen any for sale around here though.
I will keep an eye out.

@Somewhere_In_The_Clouds here are my coops.
This is the first one, and also the one that is going to be extended.
P2030393.JPG
P2030402.JPG
It needs more ventilation as well.

Back
Top Bottom