Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Gold Coaster- I would much rather be up in an area like in your photos next week - It looks much more inviting than the picture I get after reading the weather report for Canberra. Looks to be getting down to -6 at night.. I hope not- but will certainly be staying in the motel for the evening rather than going out if that is the case.

Omg Ducky minus 6.. I nearly froze my butt off last week when we got to minus 3 but i don't have heating so I guess as you said as long as you stay in doors you'll be ok. Hope it will get a lot warmer for you during the day. We got 44mm of rain yesterday/last night best rain we have had for months. No watering for me this week :)

Hello Rachel,

I agree wholeheartedly. There is no question that growing your own poultry and/or veggies is the best way to go and whenever possible people should do it. Unfortunately, some people don’t have the space or time for it.

I must admit that when it comes to animals, I feel for them, even for those that bite or scratch. And unless we speak up for them they don’t have a voice. So I must admit, my main concern is animal welfare. I cannot see why we can’t treat them well while they are alive, even though they are livestock and eventually end up on our tables. Having nice free-range eggs is guaranteed when we farm them humanely. I think free-range should be the only way chickens are kept and for those folk that cannot keep chickens, they should buy them from people that can keep them free-range.

However, we don’t live in an ideal world and we have to fight for these better options; they are not always handed to us on a platter, so to speak. In fact hardly anything is handed to us on a platter these days. Everything is a struggle. But what is the alternative? Having to accept a substandard produce? For me personally there is no contest.

Cheers,
Gold Coaster

Hello Satay and DuckyfromOz,

Thank you for the compliments. It’s green everywhere around here because it rains a lot. I noticed that it rains more here in the mountains than closer to the coast. Not sure why. I’ve been told that trees ‘call’ the rain; perhaps there is some truth in that.

We moved here 4 years ago and I really love it here because although we are only 20 minutes drive away from the nearest shopping centre, it feels like we are in the middle of the rainforest. I don’t think I could go back to live in the city again and I hope I won’t have to.

Having bulls is a good idea Satay. If I had more land I would keep a sheep or two. My neighbours down the road keep 5 alpacas; they are soooo cute!

DuckyfromOz are you on a holiday or a business trip in Canberra?

Cheers,
Gold Coaster

Gold Coaster- I would much rather be up in an area like in your photos next week - It looks much more inviting than the picture I get after reading the weather report for Canberra. Looks to be getting down to -6 at night.. I hope not- but will certainly be staying in the motel for the evening rather than going out if that is the case.

Weak - that's what you Northerners are, just plain weak!!
lau.gif

Have fun anyway,I envy you!

depending on where you are, there is a breeder of Aracanas near Wingham. Linga Longa Farm is the name of the property.
They may be able to help you out!

Quote: Once every four years there is a massive Poultry show in Canberra. I am leaving to drive up there at about 2 am on Thursday morning.
I actually havent been well for a while now and this morning was written a 3rd prescription for antibiotics...heres hoping they kick in quick and I am feeleing better towards the end of the week. It will be pretty miserable to be up there in that kind of weather not feeling well.

Well done with the brooder Ashburnham - it looks great!!

Back
Top Bottom