Australians - Where are you all????

Yup, that's the sale I usually go too Ducky. It is run by the Lions and they have an amazing range of poultry there usually.

I hope your sale does go ahead,
fl.gif
that quarantine keeps everything under control.

wee.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
i have my goslings!!!! I had only ordered two- but after driving 123 klms...I asked if the lady had any others for sale. we wandered outside and got 4 others that were wandering around trying to find a mother. Their actual mum was still sitting on the nest waiting for the others to hatch, so she was happy for me to buy them so they were assured of being kept warm tonight. THEY ARE SO ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!

46956_goslings.jpg

Hi all! Our pullets (or one or two of them) have juuuust started laying eggs this week - we've had two eggs, three days apart. The thing I don't know is which chooks are laying them! We have two white Leghorn crosses who are about five and a half+ months old, and three black Australorp crosses who are just under five months old. The crosses are apparently 3/4, and the chooks look like the pics of purebreds except for some (rather gorgeous, I think) brown feather lacing at the Australorps' throats:

6078846118_b4b762faf7_o.jpg

6078304789_2f21ff12a3_o.jpg

(those pictures are a few weeks ago, the Leghorns' combs are a lot better developed now)

I would have said it was the Leghorn(s) laying for sure, except that the eggs aren't white! But they're not brown brown either, they're an even pale tan, and quite long for their width. I know first eggs can be really variable also. Any ideas on which might be the layers? I haven't managed to catch anyone in the act yet, and they all spend time in/around the box where the eggs have appeared.

What do you guys use to worm your chickens here? And where do you get it from?

I hear about products from the americans on here but can't find them. I have the aristopet/levisamole wormer but that only kills roundworms. My dog eats their poo so I want them to be PROPERLY wormed. So they don't just pass it on to each other all the time.

Also let me know egg with holding times etc...

If you want to do tapeworm you can use something with Praziquantel in it. They usually have 'plus' on the end of the name - like Moxidectin Plus or Avitrol Plus. Usually no witholding times - that's at your own discretion. Some recommend five days, some say two weeks.

i use this
132327_med.jpg
Aristopet Poultry Wormer - Worm-Enda....bought it from petbarn..

And have also used this

000986%20%20poultry%20worming%20piperazine%20solution%20wormer.jpg
INCA : POULTRY WORMER PIPERAZINE SOLUTION which i got from the local stockfeed store.

edit: most withholding periods is 7 days. But its always best to read the label
smile.png

Last edited:
I've used both of those - good for round worms. Neither of them will do tapes, but you can get a Worm-enda Plus that has Praziquantel added and will do them. Depends if you need that or not.

I buy sheep drench in bulk, but I have lots of birds.

Avitrol Plus is off-label for chickens, like many other things. The reason is that they haven't spent the money and collected the residue data for withholding times etc. In practice, a lot of backyard chicken owners use it safely. The Mavlabs Scientists advise off the record that you should give 2 doses, 14 days apart. The syrup can be given directly to the bird at a dose rate of 4ml per 1 kg bodyweight of put in the drinking water at a rate of 25ml per 1L water. They say a 'default' withholding time of 7 days is advised.

Back
Top Bottom