Australians - Where are you all????

No,I am trying to breed Reds atm, but I have a book that is almost the Silkie bible by Sigrid Van Dort,and in it she tells you how to get all the beautiful colours! That is why I said give me a day,as I was going to copy it for you.

Bird disease spreads to racing pigeons

Posted September 14, 2011 08:31:35

ABC News
Related Story: Deadly pigeon virus pops up in Victoria
Related Story: States move to stop deadly pigeon virus
Map Shepparton 3630

A virulent bird disease has spread to racing pigeons in Victoria.

A new strain of avian paramyxovirus was discovered in the state a fortnight ago.

It is responsible for wiping out flocks of domesticated pigeons, known as "fancy" pigeons on at least six properties in the state.

Now the virus has been detected in racing pigeons.

The State Government has quarantined 25 properties and believe the outbreak is contained to the Melbourne and Shepparton area.

The Department of Primary Industries is asking owners to avoid pigeon racing.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Found this on the ABC this afternoon.

Last edited:
Oh dear, I hope all you pigeon owners fare okay
sad.png

Just caught up on some reading about the virus- basically... Ducks rarely show signs of the related virus's - so I am breathing a huge sigh of relief after reading that. No further alarmist newsbreaks on the subjects though - which is good too.

I heard it spread to the racing pigeons in Shep on the news. I wonder if the local poultry auction went ahead today? They had it still advertised in the paper this week. I didn't go, last thing I want to do is bring home that as a souvenir! I assume they banned pigeons but I worry people might have left their pigeons home and still gone or taken chickens to sell. I'm not buying feed in Shep either, might be an over reaction but but better safe than sorry.

I feel sorry for everyone who's affected, it would be awful.
sad.png

I saw that there was an auction at Nathalia today- Run by the lions Club I think, Signs up saying no pigeons accepted for sale. I asked at our Meeting last weekend about the Footscray Sale- and was told that as per Sunday and the information at hand - it would go ahead. As long as the strain does not pass through to Poultry the current bans on transportation of Pigeons should control the problem. No restrictions put in place would be infallible though. I have heard that the pigeons may have been brought in from asia, but realistically- know one may really ever know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom