Australorp attacked chick

happima

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 14, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
Introduced chicks about a month ago. Tonite found Astralorp hen attacking chick. Thought she was dead. Chick stood up and we brought her inside. Serious head injury.

This Astralorp is same one that is eating all my eggs.

What can I do for injured chick? Will spare you from pictures.

Put Astralorp in shed for evening.

When you upload it, I'll look. I have experience with wounds. I'll see this later. I hope she will be okay.

Clean it, blue-kote it, and leave it alone. Keep it separated from the rest until it heals. And I would get rid of that Astralop! Hurting others AND eating, what I call chicken jewels, is completely against the rules of the coop. I know how hard it is to cull or find a new home for some of your favorites and what not but that hen is not cool. If she gets introduced to an already established flock, might put her in her place.

I can't get iPad and photobucket to work together.

But my little sweet Sadie is up and chirping and eating and acting normal, just minus the back of her head. Looks like a horror movie. Swelling seems down by 75%.

Don't have Kote Blue. Using neosporin foam for time being.

Do I take her to vet.

Keeping it clean is best and lots of people use neosporin on their chickens with no harm. It would help to see pics, but I understand. Maybe describe it more, is it wide open bleeding? I wouldn't take her to the vet unless she showed other symptoms of not eating, or drinking, or moving. Just got a big owie, will take time to heal. Depending on the seriousness, and it sounds like you think it is serious, could take a month or two before letting her back into the flock. You don't want them to peck on her wound.

Keeping it clean is best and lots of people use neosporin on their chickens with no harm. It would help to see pics, but I understand. Maybe describe it more, is it wide open bleeding? I wouldn't take her to the vet unless she showed other symptoms of not eating, or drinking, or moving. Just got a big owie, will take time to heal. Depending on the seriousness, and it sounds like you think it is serious, could take a month or two before letting her back into the flock. You don't want them to peck on her wound.
I agree, keep it clean, and then leave it alone! It's going to look reeeealllly ugly for awhile, but it sounds like your chick is pretty resilient. You're going to be a chickie nurse for a while!
Since you've got a bunch of other chicks, I would go online & buy the emergency basics- Blue Kote & Tetracycline just to have on hand for the future. I also use Braggs ACV mixed with my chicks food for an extra boost of nutrients, and it really helps perk them up! If you take your chick to the vet it's going to be very expensive, so I would wait. It shouldn't cost you more than $30 to get the basics, and the vet bill will be 3 times that!
Get rid of that mean hen. You don't have to cull her, just re-home her. She will continue to attack your other chickens, and will be problem for you & your flock.
I hope your little one recovers soon!

You may end up with a house chicken, or at least a very close hen. Does the Australorp attack other chickens? You should keep an eye on the flock in case you have another incident. As long as the wound is clean and dry, you have to leave it up to her to survive or not. Ipads can be so annoying can't they?

Poor little chickie. I'm sure she's in good hands.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom