Australorp Cockerel or Pullet (~6 weeks old)

COChickChick

In the Brooder
May 28, 2023
I have one young Australorp, a Barred Rock & a Rhode Island Red. Got all 3 on 4/22 and were all probably under a week old. The Australorp is worrying me more and more that she is a he.

A lot of the forums/threads I've been reading talk a lot about comb & wattle. However, in this case comb size & wattle development is similar to his/her flockmates. Feather growth/development has been totally different & body posturing is different.

Attachments

• IMG_7961.jpeg
    IMG_7961.jpeg
    631.8 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_7959.jpeg
    IMG_7959.jpeg
    656.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7965.jpeg
    IMG_7965.jpeg
    661.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7958.jpeg
    IMG_7958.jpeg
    589.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7953.jpeg
    IMG_7953.jpeg
    852.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7951.jpeg
    IMG_7951.jpeg
    685.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7949.jpeg
    IMG_7949.jpeg
    843 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
So tail feather development couldn't tell you at this age. There are a couple breeds that you can link feathering in patterns to sex, but this breed isn't one of them.

The thing I am hooking on is the little bit of pink in the comb. There shouldn't be any color there in a pullet. Maybe you could post in another week and it will seem clearer, or maybe others with more austrolorp experience can chime in.

I see why your are questioning, but I'd give it more time.
Where did you purchase them?

Could I see a closer look of the barred rocks comb? I'm just curious. It doesn't look like a single comb from this view.

I see why your are questioning, but I'd give it more time.
Where did you purchase them?

Could I see a closer look of the barred rocks comb? I'm just curious. It doesn't look like a single comb from this view.
Here she is about a week ago. Not the best but she’s a party animal.

Does this help? What are you curious about?

I got them from a local feed shop that came recommended over TSC or Murdoch’s.

Attachments

• IMG_7968.png
    IMG_7968.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7967.png
    IMG_7967.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
Looks like a pullet at this point.
This is my Black Copper Marans pullet, (Yes, its a different breed, but both are fairly quick to comb up) at about 5 weeks old.
As you can see, she definitely had some red in her comb, so it can easily still be a pullet, imo.

Attachments

• PC190129.JPG
    PC190129.JPG
    919.3 KB · Views: 66
Looks like a pullet at this point.
This is my Black Copper Marans pullet, (Yes, its a different breed, but both are fairly quick to comb up) at about 5 weeks old.
As you can see, she definitely had some red in her comb, so it can easily still be a pullet, imo.
Thank you! This picture is really helpful.

Back
Top Bottom