Australorp.....oops, actually a Jersey Giant Rooster....

His feet are yellow underneath. The black female who was identical to him as babies and also quite large.....has more of a whitish color on the bottoms of her feet. I have heard that JG may sometimes have whitish bottoms of the feet but BA will never have yellow.

He is really abnormally large. He is way bigger than my RIR cockerel who is 2 weeks older and way more "mature" (crowing, trying to breed the girls, acting like a jerk, etc). My JG still is not crowing and is very nice to be around.

Here he is at about 9 weeks? The buttercup pullet in the picture with him is the same age (bought in same batch as day olds)

jersey4.jpg

See how enormous his legs are? They are about as thick as two fingers put together.

My first thought when reading the title was that it was a Jersey Giant. Be careful if you decide to keep him as depending on what breed your hens are, he may be too big for them.
My friend had to rehome her's as he hurt her EE's They are beautiful though.

I have a BA mix cockeral and OMG he's nearly as big as the turkeys the same age. He just floors me. He is also the sweetest boy, likes sitting in my lap and perching on my shoulder. He's NOT staying but I like him. He's a good lad.

I wouldn't mind a few JGs just no boys, I have enough boys...

Nellabean:
If the under part of the roosters feet is yellow then he should be a Jersy Giant and if the underpart of the hens feet is white then she should be a Australorp.
Now that is if they are pure and not a cross of the 2...
I had a austalorp her about 2 years ago that was very large I think she 8 to 9 pounds.. She was just as big as some Black Jersy Giant hens.. ( I won a lot of shows with that hen )
chris

Well my big boy definitely has yellow feet.........and he sure is living up to the name.

He is 15 weeks old this week. I found pictures to compare from when he was a day old to now, both standing next to the same feeder.

Here he was 15 weeks ago today, he is one of the black chicks at the feeder.

newchicks2-1.jpg

Here he is today. That metal pan is the bottom of the chick feeder he is standing next to. It is now the size of one of his feet.

bigjersey.jpg

tongue.png

Holy cow, he is HUUUUUUGE. He is just starting to try to crow....he just seems to be abnormally HUUUUUUGE.

The girl is only a little bit smaller than him. She TOWERS over all the others the same age. She has whitish feet though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom