Australorp or Jersey Giant?

This is my blue Australorp. Slate black legs bottom of the feet are wbite and toenails white... no yellow.

Their feet are slightly yellow and their toenails are yellow. They aren't dirty because I gave them a bath not too long ago.

I think the feet look a little yellow, and, according to some, a little yellow means it's a jersey .... but I'm no expert! You'll probably find out a little more when you know where they're from :)

Out of curiosity ..... do hatchery "Jersey Giants" have a little bit of said breed in them or are they just Australorps? Does the hatchery pick out the biggest black birds, or are they just so "diluted" they can't be considered pure JGs? I mean, it kind of sounds weird that the only determining factor is foot color, although I'm not disagreeing with those who have said that. But, couldn't you eventually get JGs with grey feet if you bred ones with grayer feet enough or mixed a little of something else in?

I think the feet look a little yellow, and, according to some, a little yellow means it's a jersey .... but I'm no expert! You'll probably find out a little more when you know where they're from :)

Out of curiosity ..... do hatchery "Jersey Giants" have a little bit of said breed in them or are they just Australorps? Does the hatchery pick out the biggest black birds, or are they just so "diluted" they can't be considered pure JGs? I mean, it kind of sounds weird that the only determining factor is foot color, although I'm not disagreeing with those who have said that. But, couldn't you eventually get JGs with grey feet if you bred ones with grayer feet enough or mixed a little of something else in?
Hatcheries don't cross their Giants with their Australorps. They just don't breed with standards in mind. They select for production rate only. This is why hatchery stock, regardless of breed, look nothing like what they are supposed to.

The place where I got them from gets the eggs from a breeder and hatches them. So are mine jerseys? They have yellowish nails.

Back
Top Bottom