Australorp Rooster or Hen?

tgrassman

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 16, 2012
My wife and I are new to raising chickens and have come across a difficult to answer question, for us at least. Is my 3 month old Australorp a hen or a rooster? It has just developed a knack for some light crowing, but I've read that some hens will make some crowing noises. I posted a picture below. Any help would be appreciated since we are not allowed to raise a rooster in our area. If she is a he I will have to relocate him to live with my dad on his farm.

Last edited:
Cockerel-look at the tail. Definitely have some testosterone in that bird.

ROO. Tail feather length and comb/wattles look like my black australorps always do when this age.(an OPINION anyhow) Am not expert but DO have BA's and the vocalization seems to confirm it.

Lucky boy, gets to live on a farm! My 3 mo old pullet has a very small comb, no wattles, slender legs, and less than half the tail length of yours. You can also see the shiny pointed saddle feathers growing from his back just before the tail. Only boys get these.

Thanks to everyone that responded! We now know that she is a HE :) We went and bought another australorp hen and we can tell a distinct difference between the rooster and the hen.

Back
Top Bottom