Australorp rooster sex link crosses?

suburbanfarm

Chirping
Jan 5, 2021
I've searched heaps and read lots of threads, but a lot of the conversations are covering multiple breeds at once, with hen and rooster options, and I've lost track of the breeds now.

Which breeds can I cross with an australorp rooster to have sex link chicks please?

Thanks (new here, new to breeding, and learning)

You should be able to cross any barred female to produce sex linked chicks. E.g. Barred Rock, Dominique, Cream Legbar, or any hybrid female that is barred. The female will pass barring to their sons only, so sons will have white head spots, and neither parent will be able to pass barring to any of their female offspring.

Ok cool thanks

Do I need to be careful with the purity of the breed, or if it looks generally like the breed then it should be ok?

Ok cool thanks

Do I need to be careful with the purity of the breed, or if it looks generally like the breed then it should be ok?

If all you're concerned with is sex link, having a rooster with no barring, and a female with barring is all you need! Nothing else matters (other than having a dark enough base color to be able to see the barred head spots in the chick down)

You should be able to cross any barred female to produce sex linked chicks. E.g. Barred Rock, Dominique, Cream Legbar, or any hybrid female that is barred. The female will pass barring to their sons only, so sons will have white head spots, and neither parent will be able to pass barring to any of their female offspring.
Wouldn’t that require a RIR roo or a NH red?

I'm thinking about trialling a Plymouth Rock and a cream legbar.... Because I enjoy getting to know the different breeds!

Can anyone show me examples of either of these crosses? I've been browsing old threads but they can get quite long! 😂

Would cream legbar hen with australorp rooster's offspring lay green eggs?

I'm thinking about trialling a Plymouth Rock and a cream legbar.... Because I enjoy getting to know the different breeds!

Here is a Dominique-Legbar cross. Should be roughly the same, except the rose comb
need-someone-who-can-read-barred-head-spots-like-tea-leaves-cream-legbar-x-dominque-chicks

Would cream legbar hen with australorp rooster's offspring lay green eggs?

Yes, it should. I would expect egg color similar to the Dominique-Legbar, which I will post on the above thread when they start to lay. It would be a lighter green than an olive egger, what some would call a mint egger.

Back
Top Bottom