Australorps breed Thread

Some people are creeped out by snakes, I'm not one of them. How nice the King is there to protect you from the rattlers. S/he is lovely.
, ive never been afraid of any animal , even snakes as long as they dont bite....lol... but this snake and i have a long history, since one day i saw 4 of my wild cats out on my back porch and they had a small snake they were planning to eat, so i ran out and made them drop it , then ran and got a glass dish to cover the baby snake so i could contain it and look up on line what it was, i found out it was a baby king snake, so i took it in and healed up its wounds, so after a wile it was healed & i took it out to the back of my land at dusk ,knowing they are night snakes , and i release it under a big thorn brush so the cats could not get at it, and it had some time to get away, so fast forward almost 20 years later , this giant king snake has saved me a few times and on this night i was able for the first time to take pics of it, so i took like 20 pics of it & after i went back inside , some thing told me that was the baby snake i had saved, i searched on line and found , king snakes can live 20 years. so was that the baby i had saved and does & it remember me , since in minutes it would have been dinner, for 4 cats, its all just amazing when you think about it..! i like to think it was that tiny snake i saved all those years ago, but no matter what im just so grateful for my big beautiful king snake.! and i hope its a girl so she will have more kings to guard my land...!!! nature does work with us & does a great job of it, i must say...!! sadly most people don't notice, but all i have to say is life is about learning ..!! & being grateful...!!!:thumbsup:highfive:

He is a Beautiful snake I will give you that.
But I still don't want him in my coop/yard.

I didn't know that they would kill other snakes. That is cool trivia !
Apparently kingsnakes are immune & can tolerant rattlesnake venom. Kingsnakes also eat rodents. Rattlesnakes can identify kingsnakes by smell. Rattlesnakes usually retreat in presence of a king snake. i found this kool video its amazing to watch , its how a king snake lives in the wild. https://arizonadailyindependent.com/2014/08/31/kingsnakes-versus-rattlesnakes/

Last edited:
WOW ALL GREAT IDEAS, let us know how it works out , yes the peanuts might do ..? good luck ...!!! but seriously i have to say that it was easier for me to call some king snakes to come and kill off the rattlers & live on my land then to talk the crows into staying ...? whats up with that....lol.. HA o and here is my dear rattler hunter, my big giant king snake , he has come to my rescue many times & in this pic , he showed up, the night after i almost stepped on a rattler and i called out to him to come kill this rattler & he showed up in that same exact spot were that rattler was out behind my coop..! so that next night some thing drew me back out there , and i saw the king snake that guards my yard just hanging above & waiting for the rattler to come back out from under my coop...!! ya gotta i love that snake...!!! right..!! ain't nature wonderful...!!! i had all i could do not to got pet it...lol..:D;):p. but i tried real hard not to do that....lol...:p;):D:lol::gig:lau:thumbsup View attachment 1293516 View attachment 1293518 View attachment 1293519 View attachment 1293520
Wow! What a beauty! We have a couple that live on our property, I've saved them from the weed burner and weed whacker a couple times... put them aside and let them go the next day. I still get really big rattle snakes around the chicken coop, but not the smaller ones. I used to get gopher snakes but haven't seen one in years....

Wow! What a beauty! We have a couple that live on our property, I've saved them from the weed burner and weed whacker a couple times... put them aside and let them go the next day. I still get really big rattle snakes around the chicken coop, but not the smaller ones. I used to get gopher snakes but haven't seen one in years....
:goodpost::clap o gosh , i think you can ask the kings to go kill off all those rattlers , thats what i did, and it worked , but gosh i wounder what happened to your gopher snakes..??? thats to bad , they are all real good help to us, but you can pray for more good snakes thats what i did when we first got this place back 20 years ago, and i know the universe will send you more good snakes, but be real careful until more help arrives...!!!!:thumbsup:highfive:;):)

Last edited:
This is the page that gave me the hints I'm going to use first.
https://www.wikihow.com/Attract-Crows

I've got lots of trees for roosting and nesting, I haven't got noisemakers out or the shiny things they say deters hawks. Bah, I even laced the top of my run last time and the damn things got in.
WOW HEY this is fantastic info WOW so thats why the crows didnt stay around , i have bells on my front door ,i trained my cats to come when the bells ring, so im gonna take the bells down, and call my cats with my voice, and take down the chimes in the walk ways, and then try to ask the crows to come back, there is always scratch around , i have a lot of trees plus i toss scratch under the trees so my hens would be safe under the trees & the trees help to protect them from any sky predators, my hens are always out under the trees and shrubs they sleep under them in the afternoons in the shade, but hey wow this is some good info and thank you for this info you posted its totally great...!!! you get 10 starrs from me:thumbsup :clap:woot:yesss::highfive: and thanks sooo sooo much , im looking forward to the crows coming to hang out ...!!!

Some people are creeped out by snakes, I'm not one of them. How nice the King is there to protect you from the rattlers. S/he is lovely.
omg yes i know , when you get to encounter such a spectacular wild animal up close like this beautiful king snake & it was even more spectacular in person , i ran breathless into the house to get my camera, praying it would not leave, and i was so glad it was still hanging around HA , i got my hubby to run out to see him or her,& took more then 20 pictures , it seemed to like me and hung around on the fence for a long time , i was talking to it inside my head and it acted like it felt safe even with me being so close ..? thank goodness it didn't get scared off , that was one of the amazing very special moment in my life and something i will not forget, but ive had lots of wild encounters in my life ,and each time it was amazing , i had to rescue a full grown male deer with a full rack of antlers on this fall afternoon , his head was caught up in some fencing wire still attached to a post , he was badly trapped, i had heard noises in the forest & i found him thrashing around , i lived near by so ran home to get wire cutter, when i got back it was then that i started to remember stories about how these buck deer can kill you in a moments time, so we had a talk about if i helped him he would not hurt me , so it seemed we had an agreement & next i was climbing around his head and use wire cutters to cut him out of this entanglement he stayed very still trusting me as i promised to save him , so he stayed still and let me cut him loose then he jumped up, looking pretty shocked , that part was a bit scary since he stood towering over me & stood a few moments just looking at me, and at that same time, I talked to him in my head & i told him you promised you would not hurt me , it was then he turned and walked slowly & calmly away , he stopped about 15 feet away and looked back at me like to say thanks, and calmly walked off into the forest , but during our little talk i warned him to stay away from other people because some would try to kill him , since many people were not like me , then my next unexpected encounter with the wild things was when i was out splitting wood at around 11 pm in CT this one winter night & i heard growling behind me ...lol.. my first though was hmmm so thats what they sound like ..lol.. i didn't look at it since i knew what it was , i had seen mountain lion tracks every morning in the snow all over my yard under my first floor bed room windows and around the doors & i could hear it breathing right behind me so, i dove into my chicken coop near by and locked the door the big cat just walked off like nothing happened & it didn't seem interested in eating me , it just wanted to see what i was doing...lol.. HA so long story short i lived to tell that tail...lol... and thats how my chickens saved my life this one winter night ...lol... so all i can say is ain't life exciting....lol...:old:clap :lol::lau:lol::gig& ain't nature great..!!!:thumbsup:woot;):D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom