Australorps breed Thread

I love the broodys.
big_smile.png
Make life so easy..

Have you just checked her just to make sure she isnt having a problem like egg bound? .. if she tries to nip you when you check under her then shes probably broody but hopin she isnt having a problem, your the owner so you probably know her quirks better than me for sure..But it sounds kind of strange being so young.. might be worth a look..

If she isnt having a problem then you can move her to a new location or cage her to break the broody spell..I have a sevbright hen that just wont quit going broody as soon as she is settled into a place she sets up shop.. She knows when an egg is fertile and stops and sits them but these are fertile..We take them away from her this time of year cause the winters are so brutal here....

Hi everyone,

a quick question about Australorp chicks - mine are now 3 weeks old, and being raised very successfully by their surrogate Hamburg mama. They have wing feathers, and are just starting to get some tail and chest feathers. Is this rate of feathering normal for 'lorp chicks?
idunno.gif
When I compare to other pics of chicks of about the same age, they seem woefully under-feathered (although I find them cute with fluff!!). At what age should I be able to distinguish boys from girls? Are there any obvious signs (besides crowing or laying eggs lol!!) Mine all have little combs and thick legs... hoping for some girls as I can't keep boys in my backyard. Will post a fresh pic when I get home tonight.

Thanks in advance!

Sam

Quote:
Hi Sam,

As you are in Australia your 'lorps might be slow feathering i am not sure on this one. But i would say at 5-6 months you should be able to tell the difference.

Hi.
Due to probably high percentage orpington background, the chest and back feahtering might be slower, It is very common in orpington based breed in Males......Females will feather out faster in chest and back then males. The more orpington the more you see that..Its kind of an early way to sort males from females. Australia hasmore orpington in the background then american australorps.. Its perfectly normal for orpingtons..You might watch to see if the sparce feathered chested and back ones are male. Love to see some pics as they come along!

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback. I'm really hoping that there are a couple of girls... just have to play the waiting game!
pop.gif

Here are some pics that I took tonight of the chicks.

44298_img_1398.jpg

44298_img_1393.jpg

44298_img_1375.jpg

Thanks!

Sam

Thgose look like some nice babies. Thats just the way they develope... I have gotten to where I can pretty much tell within 2 weeks whos going to be who by the way they feather out and the boys are just a bit stockier..They are a little more bare in feathering than the girls on the back and bottom and chest, but boy just wait until they are around 7 months, they will be big soft butterballs.. They look normal and healthy to me..
Do you know what the old timers used to do?
They would get a hat, and throw it over the baby pen like a frisbi, , all of the boys will stand right up tall and the girls will duck down.. Its right in thier DNA to be protective and stand right up to a threat even when they are only a few weeks so they tell me..Have never tried it but it would be interesting to see if thats true.

Well I tried chucking a frisbee over their heads, they all started chirping and running in panic, then stopped and stretched up to see what was going on, like their mama does. Feathering is coming on, some chest and back feathers are coming through. They escaped the run on Friday night when I was trying to get a broody barnie off the nest, here are some pics from their first backyard excursion.
Cheers,

Sam

Doing some work on the paving...
44298_img_1471.jpg

Helping with the weeding...
44298_img_1460.jpg

Will the Splash's are home now. I will go out and try to get a picture. They are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO small they were a June hatch. Luckly the Blacks i have, are good sized. I am thinking i will keep a Blue Rooster over the Winter to put with the hens, I am happy i have a good sized Blue rooster out there. Then next summer i am going to get a nice Black rooster to put over the hens to get shape in this line.

Back
Top Bottom