Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. huppfarm

huppfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Not at all, just love em and they will love you back!
  2. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
  3. blom545

blom545 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Cape Town,South Africa
    THANKS HUPPFARM I APPRECIATE IT:) I want to post a pic of another blue roo of mine later today:)
  4. blom545

blom545 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Cape Town,South Africa
    My other blue aussie 8months old with black aussie hen:)
  5. huppfarm

This bird in the picture is not a Black this the one with red skin? Australorps have white skin and the bottoms of the feet are pink or white or pinkish white. Sometimes you need to wash the feet to see the exact color.
  6. huppfarm

Howdy, just wanted you to note the color of the female's eyes, They should be dark brown or almost black. I have a young male with the same color eye as your female, maybe they are distant relatives! If you plan on showing and breeding, use birds that have the correct color weather it be plumage, legs and feet, beak, earlobes or eyes. It will save you time when trying to breed out undesirable traits. If you just have them for fun and back yard? have fun with them!
    1 person likes this.
  7. cracrzy4chicks

cracrzy4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Westernville, NY
    I also have an 8wk old pullet with the grey-green eye color. Where does that come from ?
  8. huppfarm

I wish I was a genetics buff but that is not the case and can only surmise that somewhere in the breeding of the past, perhaps the beginning..........the original birds that were used to create the Black Australorp and I seem to remember 3 different breeds (correct me if I'm wrong) may have had different colored eyes other than dark brown.
    I have seen Gold, Light Brown, Red and this Greenish Grey and I can also state that these colors could be the intervention of cross breedings to produce size. As many breeders are doing now days using Black Orps and Jersey Giants. Seems that folks are not happy with the size and weights that are required by the "Standard of Perfection".
    I have seen this at many Poultry shows, some APA judges like "HUGE" Australorps and that is totally wrong, they need to stick to the standard and not deviate one inch. If the birds don't meet the requirements in size and weight then they should not get awards at shows and should be noted on the I.D. cage tags so the breeder knows not to mess with crossbreeding for the huge desired size they seem to think will win shows.
    So that is my soap box for the day and the only answers that I can come up with on the eye color dilemma.

Does anyone know the exact breeds used to create the Black Australorp?
  9. CB and CG

CB and CG Chillin' With My Peeps

Orpington, Minorca, White Leghorn, Langshan and Plymouth Rock were used to create Australorps. Hope this answered your question. BTW I like the blue lorps from hupp farms everyone. Keep it up!
  10. MeanV2

MeanV2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2013
    Do all you breeders that cull wait until 1.5 years to cull? Just curious what others are doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by