Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. DeesHens

DeesHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    [​IMG] Just wanted to say "I couldn't agree more!" ~Dee~

2. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

RattlesnakeRidgeWV Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Chet at Hupp Farm,
    My two splashes have the lighter grayish eyes. Is that normal for the the splashes? If so, will breeding to the the dark eyes of the blacks fix it? All my blues have the dark brown almost black eyes, but not the splash cockerel or the pullet. Also the splashes beaks are real light and not the black or horn color of the blues and blacks. Just wondering?
    Kurt

Gramma Chick,
    The only red skin under the feathers would be around the face and a little bit high on the neck.The back and rest of the body should be white like Chet said or there was a mix in breeding somewhere. Just because a bird wins at a fair or show does not mean that it is purebred or meets the SOP of a Black Australorp. It just may have been the best example of a BA at that show. It happens far to often!
    Kurt

3. huppfarm

huppfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW! thanks so much, didn't remember that it took so many breeds to make our Australorp...........excellent, that could be a very good reason for the sporadic eye colors popping up now and again. Good Job!

4. huppfarm

As Kurt mentioned, when there is an obvious defect, cull when its detected................If you have several birds that are very similar and they all look real nice ..........then there is the option of what time YOU think is optimum for you as a breeder of show chickens. How many chickens can you afford to feed waiting for them to be all they can be?
    If time and money is not a problem and you don't have any worries then by all means keep them and cull after they molt, you will definitely know what you have and you wont have that gut feeling that you should have not had that "ONE" bird for BBQ.

It is totally up to the individual what he or she is or isn't going to do.

We wait 10 months and longer if needed.

5. huppfarm

Howdy Kurt, after reading about your splash, I went out and checked our one and only splash chick. She is a little older than yours and perhaps that is key or maybe not.............she is now starting to develop horn color at the base of her beak where there wasn't any a week or so ago..............her eyes however are almost all black and never saw any of the grey in the eyes even at a younger age.
    Her shanks and toes are a nice light slate color.
    Like I had mentioned in an earlier post, I do have a black with the greyish green tinted eyes.
    It is just nature and maybe a touch of Murphy's Law, because he has a perfect 5 point comb!
    Your birds may grow to have darker eyes or not and they may get a horn beak or not.
    These are the first Splash Australorps I have ever hatched or seen, so it will be a mystery until they become full on adults.
    As far as eye color in breeding..............with Australorps.............always breed with the darkest eyes, which brings me to the final comment here.
    All Our Mature Black and Blue Australorp breeding pens All have dark brown eyes............I cull and breed for that as one of my priorities in the quality of birds I raise and breed. You wont find any other type on our farm!

6. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    I am not a breeder but I can't afford to feed obvious culls for that long, the chicken enchiladas are calling their name

7. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Yes, the question was for breeders--ones that expect to win in Poultry shows. The answer posted was that obvious culls would be sooner but some should wait until first molt. That could be as long as 1.5 years. Depending on when they molt. Some will molt before a year and others will take longer.

BAs have a tendency to molt out and then grow in White feathers.

8. huppfarm

Funny, I have some already named that!

9. huppfarm

Has that been your experience?
    16 years of breeding them and I have never seen white feathers other than when they are very young and turning to adults in the wing feathers.
    That is new to me.

10. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

RattlesnakeRidgeWV Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Chet,
    I will try to post some new pics of the Hupp 5 this week, close ups if I can pull that off. They will be 10 weeks old at posting.
    Kurt

Ron, I have never seen white feathers after a molt either, especially in my adults. However, I have seen lot of white feathers come and go with the babies. It always amazed me that they are born black and white and then turn totally black, with the green sheen!
    Kurt

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by