Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Congratulations on getting Australorps!

They still have one more molt before they get their adult feathers. They sound like they are going to be fine and will be all black.

Please post pictures though....

2. fireflyhatchery

fireflyhatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

If anyone has a roo that they would be willing to sell I would like one to breed with my 4 hens. The hens are all black with no other color mix mix but I wouldnt mind as long as it is pure Austrolorp. Please PM if intrested

3. huppfarm

huppfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy and welcome to a great resource for Australorp information.
    I have raised this breed since the mid 90's and have been a 4-H Poultry Project leader just as long. In the efforts of teaching kids all about the science in raising chickens or any poultry, informing the kids about the QUALITY of the birds they wanted to raise was one of my priorities.
    When purchasing birds from a hatchery or a hardware store or corner market, a gamble has been taken. You assume that what is purchased is what you were told they were.
    In many cases it is correct and you are getting what you paid for. On the flip side, often you will get something that you did not.
    Purchasing directly from a KNOWN breeder (not some fella or gal that has chickens) is a sure fire way to be guaranteed that you are getting what you paid for.
    Not every bird is the same, each one is unique and may have some obvious differences than others, reading several of the posts will have questions with answers of what we know from the "Standard of Perfection" , which is a guideline to keep the breeds from wondering off from what "Pure Breed" actually means.
    These laced birds you speak of will not be Black Australorp Pure beeds. A possible mix breed or a completely different breed all together.
    Whatever they turn out to be, they will be giving you years of pleasure just watching them grow and develop their own personalities and attitudes.
    Please keep us posted on your progress and will be interested in seeing some pics of all your birds!

4. AParmer

AParmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Graham, Alabama
    Thank you all for such a warm welcome. And of course for the words of wisdom. I didn't mean to take so long getting back with pictures, I tend to loiter when I go out and sit with my lovely feathered kids. Here are several pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The girl on the left here has curled middle toes. I've been told that this is caused by a riboflavin deficiency. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I have just two that seem to have this issue.
    [​IMG]

Even though I have almost solid black faces on a couple of them and lighter faces on the others, will they all turn out the same as adults?
    [​IMG]

Comparing my older girl with my little bit. There's right at two weeks age difference from what I can gather. I purchased the younger Lorps and the Wellies in the background from a local breeder we've used for years.
    [​IMG]

Stevie photo bombed us, he's a sweetheart unless he thinks you're hurting his adopted kids.
    [​IMG]

5. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    The babies are looking great everyone...Just got through NPIP this morning so PHEW! Done with that for another year..here are a few pics I took this morning while I was waiting..

Ben waiting for testing, it was very cold this morning, 33 degrees...Ben is getting ready to molt..
    [​IMG]

Some of the babies out for inspection...they have the easy job..just run around and get looked at..

[​IMG]

6. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    They are nice looking for 6.5 weeks old and will lose the white by 10 weeks old or so.

[​IMG]

7. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] Those are great looking Juvies!

8. huppfarm

Oh yes, those are all Australorps! and they will loose the white feathers in time. About the toes being crooked is also caused by being stressed in the shell, trying to get out of the shell and taking too long, Ive also had that happen with the same results. Another thing about crooked toes that Ive found is sometimes its genetically transferred from parent to offspring, so if you keep those birds, Don't use them for breeding, the trait could carry onto next generations and as I always tell folks............"Your birds reflect your name in the poultry world" and believe me, it gets around! If you never plan on breeding for sales then all that doesn't matter a bit. Just enjoy them!

Thanks for all the pics!

9. huppfarm

Ben is Awsome !!! Outstanding!!! Good job!!! Jealous!!!

10. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    slight vit B2 deficiency also

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by