Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY

Gonna send you some eggs or Chicks next spring Chet..out of him and your baby girls..There are 3 , just watching what the combs do as to who to put in the pen with him..Now that NPIP is over, I can start farming them out to perspective places pretty soon....whites in one pen ect.., ..they will stay with the whites for a little while longer then with the blk orp hen, just the girls till spring....when the cockerals start to get busy around them its time to move them..showing 1 so after the feather storm have to keep her nice..

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  2. AParmer

AParmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Graham, Alabama
    Thank you Ron!

For the moment I'm not planning on hatching anything. Though if that changes the two affected would certainly remain in my personal pet area. This is actually my first time raising from chicks own my own. My parents have done it for years but I didn't pay much attention. So I have a lot to learn and a ton of questions. My husband thinks I'm insane! I'm constantly reading and trying to prepare in the event of a chicken emergency. Thought he was going to have a heart attack when he found out I had a chick in the house because I found her in the yard by herself barely moving. I'm very glad to say she's fine, and my favorite baby.

Curious Georgia (so named because she found a way to sneak out of the pen I had been using to explore)
    [​IMG]

While I'm at it. Would you know what I can treat my yard with to get rid of fleas. My dogs are coming in with them, but I don't want to use something that would harm my flock.

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    There is a type of beneficial nematodes that you treat the soil with to kill the fleas. My Aunt used them and it is totally safe. It does not even kill earth worms!

Also treat the dogs with Advantage.

4. AParmer

AParmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Graham, Alabama
    Thank you so much! I'm headed to the feed store here in a little while and will see if they have what I need.

5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
  6. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

RattlesnakeRidgeWV Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Ron,
    I am 60 and you learn something everyday. Never heard of Nematodes, but now I know, thanks for the link.
    Kurt

7. bonnylass79

bonnylass79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    Comfortis is also great for fleas. It's a pill for the dogs that you get from the vet. Kills all of the fleas on them in 24 hours, then protects for 30 days. DE would also work well for fleas. Might be cheaper than nematodes. I do want to try nematodes one of these days. They're also supposed to work great on ants.

8. thedragonlady

thedragonlady Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    I lurk on this thread because I have Buff Orps. Anybody wanting to eradicate fleas on the cheap ???? Here's the answer:

Buy a bottle of Dominion 2 termitacide.Bought mine on eBay for $20, 2 years ago. Still have 3/4 bottle, and I have 4 dogs and one cat. Mix it half and half with any cream rinse. Use 1 cc per 10 lbs. on your dogs and cats once a month. Example : 70 lb. dog gets 7 cc . NO fleas. It has the same fipronil as Frontline at 1/10 the cost.

You MUST dilute this with women's cream rinse, and shake well. I put some in the arm pits, crotch, and topline. This is what all the show dog people are using. This is NOT a systemic. It is carried by the movement of the coat. Very heavily coated breeds need it applied especially in their crotch and arm pit areas.

[​IMG]

9. bonnylass79

bonnylass79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    Awesome. Thank you. Is there a minimum age this can be applied? I just "acquired" a kitten who is covered in fleas.

Also, does it work on ticks?

10. thedragonlady

thedragonlady Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    I would not use it on kittens under 6 weeks. Yes, it does kill ticks too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by