Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri

welcome to BYC. Where did you get the eggs? which part of the world are you residing?

2. cracrzy4chicks

cracrzy4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Westernville, NY
    I hatched 4 Aussie chicks on Easter weekend. I was very lucky and have a roo & 3 pullets. I would like opinions on them, but I don't know what you need to see in the pics. Please let me know so I can post & get feedback. Thanks

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Be careful with the starchy treats--I had one die from Fatty Liver and the Necropsy report said common in certain breeds--Pretend they are diabetics, lol.

I would keep more than 4 unless you are subject to an inspection.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  4. CinnamonQueen

CinnamonQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    Here is Elphaba at 11 weeks old (two weeks ago). You can clearly see here weird leg color, but not her eye color, which has changed from gray to grayish-dark brown. I am loving the beetle sheen, it is so much better in person. She doesn't like being held at first, but she calms down after a few moments, which is fine by me.
    [​IMG]
    The babies meet the hens. Elphaba is in front.
    [​IMG]
    Our entire chicken family!
    [​IMG]
    Digging through our bush [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ninja tries to dustbathe. I was fooled into thinking she was an Australorp at first (she had the beetle green feathers), but she is a Black sexlink. (inexperienced breeders, probably.)

5. AParmer

AParmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Graham, Alabama
    Beautiful girls!! How can you tell the difference between the Lorps and the SL? These two seem very similar.

6. CinnamonQueen

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    The difference is more obvious with a different view. Ninja (SL) has black feathers laced with gold on her keel, and her legs are darker gray.
    And thank you, I agree that they are very pretty. [​IMG]

7. AParmer

AParmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Graham, Alabama
    Thank you. This is something I will certainly keep an eye for when raising my Lorps. Though one of the other members has confirmed a slight doubt in about two of them. [​IMG]

8. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    The chicks look similar so in the big bin at the feed store it is hard to tell which is a BA and Which is a Black sex link. It is quite common. The color in the neck is a dead give away--along with the wrong leg color.

9. JohnsonsJaxFL

JohnsonsJaxFL Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    We have two Australorps that seem to have a "Laid back sort of attitude" and somewhat friendly. We enjoy them.

10. CinnamonQueen

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    If not for the golden keel feathers, I would say Ninja is pure Australorp- she has the dark gray legs, after all. I was hesitant to get her at first (her keel feathers looked different), but we wanted pullets and Ninja was the only definite pullet. Also, I think the breeders may have accidentally mixed BSL hens and Australorp hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by