Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Comfortis is the best. It's the only thing that gives our dogs relief once those darn fleas move in for the summer!
  2. AParmer

AParmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Graham, Alabama
    Wow, such great advice! Thanks for the great suggestions everyone.
  3. DeesHens

DeesHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Hello Everyone. Borrowed a camera to get a few pics of my two pullets at 5 1/2 weeks old. Here are my two girls. [​IMG]

Coming out of the carrier and very excited to eat some grass.

This is Peppa my little spitfire. Although not the dominant one so far. Enjoying them very much. [​IMG]
    All my best to all of you. Enjoyed your pics and posts very much everybody. ~Dee~
  4. SigningChickens

SigningChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    West Volusia County, FL
    I'm going to try this! Thank you! I moved to FL a year ago and the fleas are immune to everything down here because there was no frost this winter.
  5. thedragonlady

thedragonlady Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2012
    I'm in the sand in central S.C. Flea heaven. The vets are reposting having to transfuse dogs already for flea anemia. This stuff really works !
  6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

The nematodes will kill the flea larvae in the sand--would need less poison on the animals that way. The nematodes keep working as long as there is food--monthly applications will keep them away all summer and into the fall.

Yes, still treat the animals!
  7. ronott1

For those asking about when to cull, Ron Fogel posted his thoughts on the Heritage RIR thread:

Start Quote:
    I hope this does not sound rude:)
    When I started raising these birds I had to let go the notion of culling early to save on feed. They will still be maturing at 7 months (November). I am not talking about a bird that has an obvious defect, it should already be gone by 7 months.
    My first year I am sure birds were culled that would have been very nice if given the chance to mature.

End Quote
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  8. MeanV2

MeanV2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2013
    I think the key thing to remember is obvious defects. My guess is it will take 5 to 6 months for chicken dinner to develop (don't like nuggets) at that point some can be culled for obvious things. I can then weed down to selected breeding stock by the next spring.

Will I cull some nice chickens? Chances are Yes! I did the same thing in dogs. Sometimes I'd see one I culled as a youngster that matured out to be a nice specimen but I still kept lots of winners. As in Dogs this is just a Hobby for me and thus I will strive to keep it fun. Thanks for everyone's input!

9. ronott1

[​IMG] It is a lot of fun!
  10. elkfriend

elkfriend New Egg

Jun 6, 2013
    ....and post number 2 for me!

first time chicken owner....we hatched 10 australorp chicks. they are around 5 weeks old now, still trying to figure out the girls and roos.

what an awesome breed. they are docile and come running when they see me. tonight I sat with them for bit, enjoying a beverage in the sunshine and 3 hopped in my lap to snuggle and get their backs stroked.

their favourite food is rice, spaghetti and baked potato.

very relaxed. too bad i have to downsize down to 4 hens later, we live in a city and I cant have more.

australorp rocks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by