Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

RattlesnakeRidgeWV Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Open season on killer raccoons at Rattlesnake Ridge!!! I just lost one of my prized Urch breeding hens. At 4:40AM , and the bandit had his last supper!!! Apparently she decided to sleep on the roost in the outside pen last night and not in the coop and it cost her her life. Chickens are pretty much comatose when they sleep and she was too close to the edge of the weld wire dog kennel is all I can figure. Between the bears, bobcats, raccoons, foxes, hawks, rattlesnakes, and copperheads, this has been one hell of a year. I guess if you want to live in the middle of nowhere on a Mt. that is the price I have to pay. Hopefully the Zoombies stay away!!! Bring it on, I have plenty of ammo.
    Kurt

2. MeanV2

MeanV2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2013
    Sorry to hear that Kurt! [​IMG] At least I have no Bears, Rattlesnakes, or Copperheads here.

Dan

3. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    jeeees Kurt, im so sorry to hear that..i lost a nice crop of birds last year in a 1 night weasle rampage.i fixed their red wagons.all of the babies are caged in wire cages that snakes and weasles cant get throu..i was feeling like the wild kingdom grocery store last year..my husband calls the forest line the viet cong of chickens....a freind of mine had a black bear take the whole side of his barn off..killed every chicken and carry off a 100 lb bag of grain...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I am sorry for your losses!

I lost One of my older BAs in the heat on Saturday--Friday was 104 and Sunday was 108. She is at UCD For Necropsy to make sure it was the heat.

5. aveca

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    gonna be a good one it looks like to me Dan

6. RossAussie

RossAussie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    G'day,

Several people in this forum have asked me where I've been. Sorry I haven't been online but for the past 8.1/2 weeks I've been in hospital. Our fowls were fed and cared for by my wife and our friends and our team for the Australian Titles on 22nd June have grown out beautifully.

Around March or April I added a picture once of a group of young pullets and six of them will be shown. They have all progressed nicely and good feed and clean fresh daily water didn't need me around for them to grow out. If I can I'll do a few snaps of them so you can compare them to your own and the older picture.

Regards from Ross

7. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    It is great to have you back!

8. MeanV2

MeanV2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2013
    Thanks Lynne! He is getting pampered! Believe me! [​IMG]

Dan

9. AParmer

AParmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Graham, Alabama
    What age should I expect the first molt? My oldest Lorps are almost 8 weeks old.

10. aveca

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    hey Ross , was wondering where you were..hope all is going well now..get yourself better! we always love to see your birds...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by