Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    i just got an email from a lady asking about black australorp chicks. she lives in northern Mississippi. i just became a member of NPIP but i haven't shipped chicks yet, and am afraid to try and ship from ohio. she only wants 6 chicks. is there someone out there closer to her selling chicks? or someone with more experience shipping than i have? her name is suthrnmomto5

2. thedragonlady

thedragonlady Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    You will see a feather storm at about 4 months when they molt their baby feathers.

3. AParmer

AParmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Graham, Alabama
    Thank you much! Have you (or anyone else) read about giving a handful of dry cat food during molt to help the molting process? Something about the protein and calcium levels helping.

4. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    cat food will help them through the molting process, but to much cat food is bad. I do use cat food from time to time, other things that work are high protein hog pellets and calf manna. others may have better advice, those are just things I have found that work for me.

5. MeanV2

MeanV2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2013
    I wonder if mixing in some high protein (30%) Game Bird Starter during molt would be a good idea?

Dan

6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    yes, especially if the game bird starter had animal protein.

I get cat food from Costco that has salmon and fish meal in it--not Soy or corn. I give the layers a small coffee cup full each day. For the "Special" chickens(HRIR, and Blue Australorps) have Ultra Kibble and Ultra Kibble for chicks.

7. AParmer

Apr 28, 2013
    Graham, Alabama
    Would Calf Manna be the same as bounce back? Would I just add a little in with their food either each morning or evening? Or should I offer a small bowl on it's own and let them eat as they please? I've also read somewhere that free feeding an option of grit, salt, oyster shell, and one other mineral, maybe food grade D.E. (each in their own separate container) is a good idea for adults.

8. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Grit and oyster shell in separate feeders. If the egg shells start to soften, give them Food Grade DE in their feed, not too much. It is a great Calcium source for them.

Watch the salt. They should get plenty of salt from their feed. During hot weather give them vitamins with electrolytes in the water several times a week.

9. AParmer

Apr 28, 2013
    Graham, Alabama
    Thanks a bunch for the advice everyone! I know that I should wait until laying age for the oyster shell. Do I need to wait that long for the others?

10. huppfarm

huppfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy Lynne, been away for a while trying to swap my Harley out for a Jeep, but Im back for a while again. Hey that would be great! sure appreciate that! What line did your boy come out of?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by