Australorps breed Thread

thumbsup.gif
It is a lot of fun!
If your not having fun......................its time to do something else!

....and post number 2 for me!

first time chicken owner....we hatched 10 australorp chicks. they are around 5 weeks old now, still trying to figure out the girls and roos.

what an awesome breed. they are docile and come running when they see me. tonight I sat with them for bit, enjoying a beverage in the sunshine and 3 hopped in my lap to snuggle and get their backs stroked.

their favourite food is rice, spaghetti and baked potato.

very relaxed. too bad i have to downsize down to 4 hens later, we live in a city and I cant have more.

cheers!

australorp rocks!
Wecome! nice post! sorry you cant have more :(

I lost an one of my Cackle girls this weekend. She was 2.5 years old. I live in California and even though I was fairly sure the heat had killed her, I took her in for a free Necropsy.

She died of Fatty Liver disease. One of the other Cackle hens died of the same thing at 9 months old.

This is the Necropsy Report:

G'day,

Several people in this forum have asked me where I've been. Sorry I haven't been online but for the past 8.1/2 weeks I've been in hospital. Our fowls were fed and cared for by my wife and our friends and our team for the Australian Titles on 22nd June have grown out beautifully.

Around March or April I added a picture once of a group of young pullets and six of them will be shown. They have all progressed nicely and good feed and clean fresh daily water didn't need me around for them to grow out. If I can I'll do a few snaps of them so you can compare them to your own and the older picture.

Regards from Ross
Ross! so glad your on the mend! good to hear from you again! Cheers!

Bob whitney gave me that rooster..he is east coast champion australorp breeder...hes one of those guys that is bar none the nicest guy you will ever meet, will give you the shirt off his back..but hes a tiger in the show ring..his australorp are very hard to beat..people travel from all over for their aussie class..one year they had 29 aussies...you would really like bob..he wins the best sportsmanship trophy every year..because we all vote for him..the australorp used to belong to his son who died of cancer years ago..but bob keeps them going..hes really a langshan man..from what i understand they got them a long time ago from a very old exhibition line from mass...they just keep them going..i never really found good hens for ben..i could have gotten some from bob, but decided...no thats his game..im going to do the blk orp..i did find a couple ok hens..sent some eggs to la ..little kids down there bred them to their line..the boy has been show champion several times, won his way to something or another...

Ross and Chet, Welcome back.
Chet, say it ain't so.Trading your Harley for a JEEP????? Sacrilege!!!
This is the first day without rain so I am finishing up my 5th coop.
I will try to get pics of the Tigercreek 4 and the Hupp 5 in a couple of days.
The raccoon rampage is slowing down like the song " another one bites the dust " boom boom.
Kurt

Way to go Kurt! Keep knockin'em down?

A question for those of you who feed the High Protein Game Bird Starter. How long do you feed it?

Dan

I lost an one of my Cackle girls this weekend. She was 2.5 years old. I live in California and even though I was fairly sure the heat had killed her, I took her in for a free Necropsy.

She died of Fatty Liver disease. One of the other Cackle hens died of the same thing at 9 months old.

This is the Necropsy Report:
2.4 kg seems a reasonable weight.
hmm.png
Was the other the same breed? What feed are they on? 9 months is scary young for fatty liver!

2.4 kg seems a reasonable weight.
hmm.png
Was the other the same breed? What feed are they on? 9 months is scary young for fatty liver!
They are on Non Soy non corn feed. The report said it did not have to do with feed--Some breeds are prone to it.

After the first one died of Fatty Liver disease, I made sure that they do not get carbs. The worst they get is a small tea cup of BOSS(Black Oil Sunflower Seed) each day.

Back
Top Bottom