Australorps breed Thread

They are on Non Soy non corn feed. The report said it did not have to do with feed--Some breeds are prone to it.

After the first one died of Fatty Liver disease, I made sure that they do not get carbs. The worst they get is a small tea cup of BOSS(Black Oil Sunflower Seed) each day.
Do you have any links/resources that note which breeds are prone so I can keep my eye on them? I guess A-lorps is one of them?

Do you have any links/resources that note which breeds are prone so I can keep my eye on them? I guess A-lorps is one of them?
Not Specifically but Commercial layers and high egg production hens are more prone to it.

I did find this:

The primary treatment for this condition requires an alteration of the diet or amount of dietary energy consumed. Replacement of some of the corn in the diet with lower energy feedstuffs like wheat bran can provide a lower energy diet. If a complete layer ration is being fed, addition of vitamins can be of benefit. If grains are the primary feedstuff, it is suggested that the birds be switched to a complete layer diet. Control of body fat is the only successful remedy for this condition and is best accomplished by regulation and reduction of total energy intake.

I have already changed their food--nearly two years ago. They are not kept in cages either. The have the whole side yard to exercise in.

It's probably heredity and high egg laying. I am definitely not using supplemental light this winter....

My 14 week old Australorps have graduated to an adult pen. They're already almost the size of some of my adult birds. They're from Tigercreek lines.

I hate to say it, but Stan may have been right about the one being a cockerel. lol It's bigger than the others and has more comb and wattle. Unfortunately, it also has the lightest eyes. :( Ironically, the smallest one has the darkest eyes.

I have a question about toe nail color. I know they're supposed to be white. In the show pen, how big of a fault is it to have a black or partially black toenail? Can they still turn white if they are black at this age? I've just noticed that a couple of them have black or partially black toenails. Not all of them, just maybe one on each foot.

My 8 week old Black Lorp girls have learned their yard routine!
woot.gif
I let them out of their coop in the mornings and let them run the yard (fenced in of course, about a half acre). Stevie keeps watch over them so well. They come running when I come out and go straight to the coop at night. LOL I had to put a medium plastic tote on the ground in front of the coop. I had one that kept trying to jump and fly up into the coop, but since I clipped wings when they were little, she couldn't manage it. She quickly got the hang of jumping on the box and into the coop. Hopefully she will learn to use the ramp like everyone else.

Should I even worry about keeping wings clipped? I've almost decided not to, my 4 week old Buff Orphington girls haven't been clipped yet.

My daughter got 1 Aussie chick and handful of other as a bday gift. They are 7 weeks old today. What are some signs to look for when trying figure out the gender. I'm new to raising chickens, any advice would help a lot.

By 7 weeks, most breeds will show a distinct difference in combs and waddles. The cockerels will have larger and darker ones. Depending one what type of chickens they are, the cockerels should be larger as well. Could you post pictures?

The Welsummer eating out of my son's hand is a cockerel. (I'm pretty sure) Notice the larger and darker comb compared to the one on the right next to the large white rooster. The Lorp boys have even more distinct features. I will try to get pictures posted tomorrow.

That's pretty much the best pics I can of the little speed demons. Im really hoping the smallest one in front is an aussie, its best pick i can come up with. I'm kinda sure the other 2 black ones are black sex link pullets. The 3 barred ones have me puzzled, breed and gender. Far left looks and acts like a pullet. Rat right has I nice comb and the second largest. Middle one has very small comb, a beard and its the largest of all.

That's pretty much the best pics I can of the little speed demons. Im really hoping the smallest one in front is an aussie, its best pick i can come up with. I'm kinda sure the other 2 black ones are black sex link pullets. The 3 barred ones have me puzzled, breed and gender. Far left looks and acts like a pullet. Rat right has I nice comb and the second largest. Middle one has very small comb, a beard and its the largest of all.

You certainly do have a little rooster in there. The barred ones almost look like Dominiques or Barred Rocks? Someone who's more familiar with chicks of those breeds would have to confirm or deny that. Though the barred that's in the middle could possibly be a rooster. The comb looks very much like the one on my mother's Dominique (pictured below). It's almost a crown shape instead of a comb shape. If that makes any sense. I know there's proper terms for the different shapes but I have no idea off the top of my head what they are. Do you know what breed the red one is?

A few people on here have told me she is a black sex link. The one in the back has the same pattern but golden brown feather instead of red. Do you think the one in front is a lorp or something else?

She looks like a Lorp, but I'm not positive. The angle that the picture was taken makes her beak look a little off to me. It's probably just the angle or my eyes, lol. Here's a few pictures of my 8 week old girls.

I'm quite sure that you will have some far more experienced answers as tomorrow moves on. I've received some wonderful advice from several members that are active on this board. And I look forward to seeing what they have to say about your beautiful birds!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom